echo 600p vs stilh 290

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsquini

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2009
North Shore, MA
Both are good saws. I currently own an echo and Iike it. I'm looking for a saw that can handle logs up to 36" diameter. Any other saws I should be looking at?

I have a 291. Ive processed some big trees with it, but if I was consistently gonna be in 36" plus wood Id probably go with the 311 or one of stihl's pro saws. Im no pro so Ill let someone else suggest some of those ;lol

Both are good saws. I currently own an echo and Iike it. I'm looking for a saw that can handle logs up to 36" diameter. Any other saws I should be looking at?

It minimum you"ll want a 20" bar to cut 36" logs so look at pro model 60cc saws and up. If it were me I would find something used that will run a 36" bar and have at it then sell the saw when done. How about a Husqvarna 372xp or Stihl 044/440/441 with a 25" bar. Probably should ask you your budget too.

Reactions: TreePointer
I own a 600p with a 20 in. bar that starts and runs well. It is a monster for power(60cc) and I think would do well in a 36" log. It is supposed to handle a 24" bar also.

Thanks Guys, I just got a truck load of logs and most of the logs are 25" - 36". Much bigger than normal. That is why I need a bigger saw. Once the snow begins to clear I will starting processing them.

I have never burned beech. I hear that is good.

It's supposedly North America's second best burning hardwood behind ash. It's also clean. No flaky bark and the wood is solid grain. No wood chips or bark to clean up.

I'm a big fan of it.

Not sure about that ranking .... don't get me wrong I love both beech and ash, but there are many folks here who are pretty passionate about their black locust, oak and Osage orange ... once properly seasoned.

Not sure about that ranking .... don't get me wrong I love both beech and ash, but there are many folks here who are pretty passionate about their black locust, oak and Osage orange ... once properly seasoned.

I guess everyone has their preferences. I have white and red oak, and beech right now. I prefer the beech to either oak. But don't get me wrong, the oaks work just fine.I usually stuff the wood stove with red oak before bed because I find it burns a little slower. Beech burns slow, too, but IMO if you put too much in the stove, in turns into an inferno. Beech is best one or 2 logs at a time. Again, all just my opinion/observations.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Status
Not open for further replies.