Echo CS 490 bar tip sprocket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hpcbmw

Oct 11, 2015
NorCal
I purchased a new CS 490 with an 18" bar about 6 weeks ago. It has worked great, but I got the bar stuck while cutting a large log. The log twisted as I got to the end of the cut. The bar looks straight, but I must have twisted something. The little sprocket on the end of the bar will no longer spin. Is there a way to fix this, or do I need to replace the bar?

If I replace the bar, I'm thinking of getting a 16" bar/chain for daily use, and a 20" bar/chain for bigger stuff that I only cut once or twice a year. Is this a good way to go, or should I just stick with the 18" bar that came with it?

Thanks for the help!

probably pinched it. two bars will require two chains, I think I would just buy a new 18" bar and finish off your chain.

Reactions: TreePointer
Depends on what ur budget is? How much do you cut? And definitely replace the bar. Spend too much time trying to fix it.

You may just have pinched the tip of the bar enough where the sprocket won't turn. Put the bar in a vise with the chain off and try to pry open the laminated bar away from the sprocket to give it room to turn. May take some effort but is probably your problem. Had this happen to me recently. Good luck

I like having a range of bars for any saw that can handle it. Most of what I cut is well within the range of an 18" so I have 2 saws equipped. But, I like to anything bigger when I come up against it. For my bigger saw, I have a 20, 24 and 32 bar. It's a few bucks in bars and chains but it gets me through almost anything I get into.

A similar thing happened to me recently. The sprocket was jammed up with wood fibers. I took the bar off, got an old 2x4 and ran the sprocket us and down the 2x4 a bunch. The first couple of times it wouldn't move at all, and after applying a lot of force it slowly freed up. Fixed!

Also, I just got a simple grease gun for the sprocket on the bar. I bought an Oregon on at northern tool for $11, and later in Lowe's I saw the same thing for $5. It's super easy to use and will hopefully keep the sprockets spinning for a long time.

like maul said, dig the teeth into a scrap piece of wood and see if you can force it to move with some wd40. sometimes stuff gets jammed in there. if it doesn't loosen up after a spin or two it's probably bent. lay it flat on a flat surface and flip it a couple times and you can see if it's bent. I don't know if I would bother trying to straighten it. the spot welds holding the layers together probably took a beating if it bent.

they *do* make a special grease gun for them, stens has it if no one else. I honestly kind of think it's a waste, it's metal to metal no matter how you slice it. it's just as easy to keep the oil flowing, and the oil will sweep away the metal shavings where the grease will try to hold them.

I've heard rumors of bearing type bars, but I have yet to see one.

personally I would just stay with what's there unless I needed it for something, but I'm not a chainsaw guy really.

Status
Not open for further replies.