Echo cs490 1 tank review.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

old greybeard

Burning Hunk
Oct 29, 2018
PA
Bought a Echo CS 490 from a local store to replace my Dolmar 510. Had a hard time finding one, was expecting to find a cs4910, the 490 is the older 50cc model.
Good price, $319, paid another $10 for a 18” bar and a Oregon chain to replace the 16” bar on it.
Was expecting to be dissatisfied with the power. Did whole tank of 8-10” maple, started and ran well. So far plenty of power, but not as fast as my Dolmar. But the 10 lb weight was real nice.
Didnt seem to run as long as the Dolamr on a single tank but it’s breaking in. Vibration seemed comparable, motor was a little noisier. More of a rattle.
Planned on doing the exhaust mod and pulling the adj caps, bit if she breaks in nice and can handle some of the 15-20” stuff I have on the ground stock Ill be impressed.
Build quality is definitely more plastic feeling than the Dolmar.

2nd tank, had a issue. Nose sprocket locked up. Stock Echo bar seems tight. Opened chain lube all the way after cleaning the bar.
Going to replace the bar asap.

Recently I had an aftermarket roller nose bar spontaneously convert into a hard nose bar. Maybe the same MFG made both of our bars.

Reactions: duramaxman05
Had the same thing happen on my Stihl 250. Oregon bar fixed it

My 421 dolmar original bar didnt last long. I switched it over to oregon as well