ECO 65 Baffle..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee... been an active day today for sure.

Anyone knows if the baffle that I see in the newest documentation is something new.
Mine was manufactured in August 2010 and surely have nothing removable there..

Thx

Gee... been an active day today for sure.

Anyone knows if the baffle that I see in the newest documentation is something new.
Mine was manufactured in August 2010 and surely have nothing removable there..

Thx
I am assuming you are referring to the baffle noted in Step 1 of the service guide. (Thank you for posting the link to the service guide, btw. Mine did not come with one and I kind of just figured it out as I went along).

I have that baffle in mine. I bought the stove in early 2012.

In my stove, it's a trapezoidal shaped piece of steel that sits loosely on top of two ridges, one on each side of the burn chamber above the burn pot. It appears to separate the burn chamber from the bottom of the upper heat exchanger.

Reactions: Love the Heat
I am assuming you are referring to the baffle noted in Step 1 of the service guide. (Thank you for posting the link to the service guide, btw. Mine did not come with one and I kind of just figured it out as I went along).

In my stove, it's a trapezoidal shaped piece of steel that sits loosely on top of two ridges, one on each side of the burn chamber above the burn pot. It appears to separate the burn chamber from the bottom of the upper heat exchanger.

Yep that's exactly what I'm referring to. In my case no ridge nor baffle.
Just wondering now if the store has forgot to pass it along???
I will try to get in touch with SBI to confirm if it existed back then..
Cheers

The Drolet folks answered back my e-mail with this....
"Your unit never had that in it’s design."

My next question will be "why was it added and what is it's usefulness"
The fire pot cannot be that different from a 2010 model to a 2012 so a baffle
should be a possible thing to add..

Kind of hoping that with the baffle it is keeping the window clean a little longer..

What do you guys think?????

Are you keeping you window clean more than 3-4 hours????
Just if you get a chance and willing, it would be nice to see a picture of that baffle
as I went to the store and it was a 2010 model that was on display..
Cheers

Pic of baffle baffle.jpg

Yes sure it is in the stove, I don;t see why SBI does not sell you one. It has 2 brackets that hold it in, they could sell you the brackets too... When I get a chance on next cleaning I will send a pic..

Reactions: Love the Heat
Yes sure it is in the stove, I don;t see why SBI does not sell you one. It has 2 brackets that hold it in, they could sell you the brackets too... When I get a chance on next cleaning I will send a pic..
Ok thx my request is already in for them....
Do you think the baffle is the biggest reason to keep your window clean for longer?????

Ok thx my request is already in for them....
Do you think the baffle is the biggest reason to keep your window clean for longer?????
My thought....it looks to act as a buffer between the flame and the underside of the upper heat exchange tube. There is a space of an inch or two between the baffle and the exchange. I looked at my stove with the heat setting on 2 and the flame was touching the baffle. Maybe it 1) creates more heated surface area and/or 2) protects the upper exchanger (?).

I do not know if it impacts the window cleanliness.

I don;t know about the glass, either but I can only assume it changes the direction of the draft, as the gases must go straight up and then around the baffle then into the heat exhanger, maybe it makes it more efficient? The longer you can keep the gases in the more heat they will transfer I am assuming.

Last edited:
My thought....it looks to act as a buffer between the flame and the underside of the upper heat exchange tube. There is a space of an inch or two between the baffle and the exchange. I looked at my stove with the heat setting on 2 and the flame was touching the baffle. Maybe it 1) creates more heated surface area and/or 2) protects the upper exchanger (?).

I do not know if it impacts the window cleanliness.

WNCBear
I get 3-4 hrs of clean window, about yours with a baffle????? cheers

I don;t know about the glass, either but I can only assume it changes the direction of the draft, as the gases must go straight up and then around the baffle then into the heat exhanger, maybe it makes it more efficient? The longer you can keep the gases in the more heat they will transfer I am assuming.

Also agree....

I will send you pics and any dimensions you want of the mounting hardware and baffle. You need to ask them the benefit of having it , compared to not having it...My glass says clean for about 2 days, but that is not because of the baffle......

Last edited:
We have the newer model with the baffle. The window only stays clean for a few hours.

Their response for the baffle was "It was for efficiency only" and on my question that I could add one
was
"No..your unit is not designed for one. Just to put your mind at ease..your unit is just as efficient with the same heating capacity."

Cheers

I wonder what other differences with the older and newer models. Besides the baffle and flue temp. I got a model that was 2010 build

Status
Not open for further replies.