Econoburn 150 cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornell3786

Sep 5, 2012
Roscommon, Mi
IMG_6556.JPG IMG_6557.JPG IMG_6558.JPG IMG_6565.JPG I've heard they are a bear to clean and I have not had a chance to clean mine in 3 years
(I have been away from home for work for 3 heating seasons)

So this is what I cobbled together to make it easier

I have no idea in what order these pictures uploaded so sorry if its mixed up

First, getting the turbs out in one piece is easy and possible if you take the chimney off you can access the bolts easily. You just have to move and flex the assembly around until it squeezes out.

I took 2 4'' pieces of 1.25'' angle iron welded back to back, with a nut welded to the top of that, which should come out to approx. 1.875'' OD. Its not perfectly straight so it wobbles a little and worked perfect getting scale and creosote off turbulator tubes

A couple sections of threaded rod with nuts welded back to back to act as couplings made the little tool reach all the way down, as roof space is an issue for me

Just hook this bad boy up to a drill and start off with a low speed and torque setting so you don't get into any trouble to start out

And putting things back together, instead of having nuts threaded on rusty bolts and fighting with wrenches, I drilled a 7/64 hole in the end of two bolts, used a couple washers and a cotter pin to make removal much easier next time.

Took about 10 minutes tops to open things up and clean turbs.

Im also going to put some hinges on the outer housing of the boiler to make this even more efficient to do next time

Hope this can help some people out cleaning their units

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.