Econoburn 150 nozzle replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greg in MN

Jun 14, 2008
Southern Minnesota
I am trying to replace nozzle but it is just a little long.. The factory says has always been this size and should just slide in, but it doesn't. I have hammered and used a chisel inside the stove but can't get anymore off. So what is the best way to sand or grind a little off of replacement? Has anybody else had this problem?

Just replaced the nozzle on my econoburn 100. Once you are sure you have the old one completely out , you can size the new one with an angle grinder with a masonry disc . I had to trim mine in width and length , just a bit at a time till you can slide it in the slot. Bruce

When I did mine to looked as though I had it all removed. Nozzle came out and there was a nice straight edge on both ends. Factory said it could be removed all the way to the metal front and back. I used a air chisel to chip some old refractory away until the nozzle fit. Next hardest part was to pack in the refractory due to the firm mix.

gg

I got sent the wrong one first.
I used an air chisel to get mine out as well,once i got the right nozzle it fit right in where the old one fit.
I knew i had the wrong nozzle when i tried to line up the air holes,it was longer than the original,and i had read about removing the refractory front and back to metal.In mine there was a fire brick between the nozzle and the metal front and back.
Thomas

I got sent the wrong one first.
I used an air chisel to get mine out as well,once i got the right nozzle it fit right in where the old one fit.
I knew i had the wrong nozzle when i tried to line up the air holes,it was longer than the original,and i had read about removing the refractory front and back to metal.In mine there was a fire brick between the nozzle and the metal front and back.
Thomas
Is this an ongoing problem with Econoburn wood boilers?
Scotty

Thank you for the replies,

My nozzle was in poor shape so all it took was a couple hits with a screwdriver on each side and the sides caved in. Then used a wrecking bar and popped the two ends out in big pieces. A little hammer and chiseling on the sides and was down to the pipes just like the picture the factory sent so I think it should have fit. Ended up using a chop saw with a cement blade trimming both ends a little and it now fits perfect.

To try and make new nozzle last longer I am having a 3/8 inch stainless piece made the same size as nozzle. When I put in the new refractory I am planning on setting the stainless on top of nozzle and having the refractory hold it in place. Any reason not to do this?

Greg

Last edited:
I have an Econoburn 200 that I have been running for almost a year now. I noticed about a month ago that their was a chip out of my nozzle. How often do you guys replace these things? Do you have any pics of what yours looked like when you felt it was time to replace?
Thanks,
Boardroom.

Mine lasted 5 winters before I replaced it this summer. there was quite a bit of erosion around the inside edged. I wouldn't worry about a chip out of the nozzle.

Next hardest part was to pack in the refractory due to the firm mix.
Just replaced nozzle on my 150. GG is correct in stating it is difficult to pack in the refractory due to thickness. I used a hacksaw blade to work it down the sides. Used everybit of refractory sent to me. No cushion that was for sure.
Job was a pain in the ass this time since it was the first replacement and wasn't sure what I was in for. I'm sure the next round won't be soooo bad.Nozzle lasted 5 seasons. I also did the 3/8 ss plate last year which got me one extra year out of my nozzle. However the plate did not hold up very well and needed to be hammered back into shape 2-3 times through the winter. By the end of the season there was no hope for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.