Econoburn 170-200 questions/problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SSweet9c1

Jul 18, 2016
fingerlakes region of ny
OK, I've been hijacking other people's threads and reading about their mods to the older style econoburns.. I've got a few questions I'm hoping you folks can help me out with.
1) does anyone know how many temp sensors are on a newer (mines a 2018) Econoburn? The only one I can see is the "return sensor" that the installer zip tied to the return (2"copper) line about a foot from where it goes into the bottom of the boiler... This is after the near pump loop.. Is this the only sensor? IE is it the sensor feeding my digital readout?
I ask because my 1000 gallon storage tank manual thermometer will give me a number, and the manual thermometer on the top left side of my boiler also gives me a number which will go up when the near pump is on, and will go down when the primary pump goes on, and the two will "agree" on the temp, until the primary kicks off and the near pump kicks on and the water is heated etc. But the digital readout on the boiler control is wonky.. The temp keeps climbing way above what either of the other two thermometers say. IE if my target temp in the controller is set at 170*F, (the temp at which the primary pumps is supposed to kick on and send hot water to storage) the digital readout temp will continue to climb to 180-190*F and then turn off the blower because it is "satisfied" with the water temp... But meanwhile the other two manual thermometers are both in agreement that the tank is still only let's say 150*.. Eventually the digital readout temp will drop and the fan will kick back on, but meanwhile i've lost all the momentum I believe I've got a bad thermal probe... What do you folks think?

Also should that probe be in a thermal well of some sort? It does have a flat side on it, that contacts the copper just fine..
Thanks
Jon

Don’t know if I can help you much with my older style controls, but the left and right digital readout are my PID controllers for blower and pump shut down.
The display in the middle is the original Econoburn control , the top number is the boiler temperature, when this number gets above 150, the boiler circulator turns on to storage , below 150 , the near pump circulates until the temperature comes up to 150. The bottom number I can run up to 200 so my blower will stay on until 195, then shut down the blower to prevent an over temperature condition. This is how I get my boiler and storage up to 190.
89A48396-A9CF-462B-BBFC-5713414A9D2C.jpeg