Econoburn Smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heat4steve

Jul 15, 2009
Rochester Ny
I have an Econoburn 150 in my basement. I recently replaced the door gasket on the upper door. During operation there is no smoke leaking from the door seal. However, after operating for a while a smell fills the basement and then permeates into the house. This must be due to a leak. I put my nose near the seal of the upper chamber andI think that is where it is coming from. Tightneing the doors bolts has not helped reduce the smell. Has anyone had this issue and been able to solve it? I am thinking of redoing the seal again. Maybe I insalled the seal incorrectly.

Heat4steve, I have mine in an outside shed. Even out in s 12 X 10 shed I don't have any smell unless I have the door open. Check the obvious door seals and if they were ok I'd start checking any other part that has a seal. Like the plate you remove to clean turbs and such.

Heat4steve, I have mine in an outside shed. Even out in s 12 X 10 shed I don't have any smell unless I have the door open. Check the obvious door seals and if they were ok I'd start checking any other part that has a seal. Like the plate you remove to clean turbs and such.
I have found it helps to seal the rope gasket on my econoburn 100 (in my basement) by adding a coating of high temp (the orange stuff) silicone to the gasket and leaving the door open until it dries. I just replaced my door seals this year and it took the silicone treatment plus several door adjustment attempts to get rid of the smell. Same as you, no evidence of any smoke coming thru , just the unique smell of a gasser. Bruce

Still looking for help. I replaced the seal and coated the seal (of the upper door) with the high temp orange silcone and the smell is reduced. I have cranked the bolts down as much as possible but I still smell gas leaking from the seal. I ordered the seal material from econoburn, however, I am wondering if the seal material is defective or if the the dimensions are too small. Any other recommendations would be appreciated. I have called Dale at Econoburn twice and he has no other recommendations.

Have you sealed the joints on your flue pipe?

There could be leakage from the bottom door seal. I had a bit of smoke coming from mine until I added a thin layer of high temp silicone.

Time to stop the guess work. Turn off the lights, grab a small flashlight and find the leak. Slowly move the light over every joint including your doors, blower, turb access AND the flue. If you can smell it, chances are you should be able to see it with a flashlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.