Economical indoor wood storage.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
For anyone looking for cheap, economical indoor wood storage.
I found these bins at Kfart for $8.00 each, comes with lids, but I don't use the lids.
Also works well for not quite seasoned wood. Bring indoors, and dries out fairly fast.
Holds a day's worth or lil more per bin for me.
I cut 1" x 4" wood runners for in the bottom, so any snow/ ice melt runs to bottom, and splits ends are out of the water.

Attachments

• WOOD BINS.JPG
    WOOD BINS.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 410
  • WOOD BIN CLOSE UP.JPG
    WOOD BIN CLOSE UP.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 415
Constrictor said:
Also lets the bugs crawl out and into the corners of the house.

Maybe in your house. Not a bug in there.
A few grubs after pulling some bark off.

Hogwildz said:
Constrictor said:

Actually not in my house because i dont store wood like that. What i do is a have a brand new 33? gallon trash can with a lid that i keep on tight. The warm temps inside the house bring the bugs out from under the bark. I dont want bugs even if they are grubs in the house.

Constrictor said:
Hogwildz said:
Constrictor said:

Actually not in my house because i dont store wood like that. What i do is a have a brand new 33? gallon trash can with a lid that i keep on tight. The warm temps inside the house bring the bugs out from under the bark. I dont want bugs even if they are grubs in the house.

To each their own. Wood doesn't dry any more in a sealed container.
Not sure how you store or stck your wood in the off season. But round here if its off the ground, and kept fairly dry, then come winter's temps, bugs tend to find another place to make home.
I have yet to see grubs come out from under the bark, only reason I do see them is I pull any loose bark off. The burn just fine in the insert.
Now if you bring the wood in when prior to winter temps, you may find a stray ant or such, but in my experience, once winter temps hit, I haven't seen much as far as insects, with the exception of the grubs here and there.
As I said, do what you feel is best for you.

ansehnlich1 said:
Hog I use the same type bin, 'cept mine's greenish colored. Works real good, helps keep the mess down.
I didn't have a choice of color, or I would have went with something a lil more blendable with the room. ;)

Get the orange ones cheap in November (Halloween), and the green and red ones cheap in January. I've seen them as low as $4.

CarbonNeutral said:
Get the orange ones cheap in November (Halloween), and the green and red ones cheap in January. I've seen them as low as $4.
Yeap, the smaller ones were 5 bucks, but they were too small for my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.