Economics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Last time I saw ML statement: over $300k. Townhouse value probably $140 - $160k when mom died. Car. Contents of house. Jewelry. Things like dad's gold Rolex from the 1950s that dad said Monica valued it at $15k. Another $100k or so outside ML.

Last edited:
Last time I saw ML statement: over $300k. Townhouse value probably $140 - $160k when mom died. Car. Some jewelry. Things like dad's gold Rolex from the 1950s that dad said Monica valued it at $15k. Another $100k or so outside ML.

Ouch! Sorry about that, you definitely got the short end of the stick.

Being a member of Congress was never designed to be a full time profession, just a way to serve your country, and then move on with your life. The crookedness of both parties is unbelievable, and neither is worse than the other, but power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Term limits is the only way to right this wrong.
I used to think that term limits were a bad idea. If someone is good at the job let them stay on right?
I was wrong. I now strongly believe in single term limits.
Our elected representatives should be totally focused on the job at hand without the inherent conflict of interest that re-election creates.
Maybe non-consecutive terms and/or longer terms would be appropriate with single term limits.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I thought Steyer's campaign ads arguing for term limits was pretty hypocritical. Really, Tom? You stayed at the company you founded for 26 years!

I thought Steyer's campaign ads arguing for term limits was pretty hypocritical. Really, Tom? You stayed at the company you founded for 26 years!

I don't think staying at a private company that you founded, compares to staying in an elected position for 26 years.

Reactions: NickW and Highbeam
That's a bit of a generalization. Might as well post the opposite: Most that do need it will spend it on crack and alcohol.

We don't need it. We also just signed an Agreement and Letter of Commitment at the two colleges my wife and I attended to fund scholarships.
Except your statement about drugs and alcohol is on its face patently absurd. However, to imply that the majority of those receiving a stimulus check that is not needed will fund scholarships or perform another altruistic act is even more absurd. Your logic is not based in reality.

… I don't think staying at a private company that you founded, compares to staying in an elected position for 26 years …

You're right. It's even worst. Staying in a place you own as a demigod, as opposed being a freely elected public servant the people want.

Except your statement about drugs and alcohol is on its face patently absurd. However, to imply that the majority of those receiving a stimulus check that is not needed will fund scholarships or perform another altruistic act is even more absurd. Your logic is not based in reality.

You surely can't mean to imply or state that your broad-stroke generalizations aren't equally absurd. Pretty funny.

Reactions: NickW
You're right. It's even worst. Staying in a place you own as a demigod, as opposed being a freely elected public servant the people want.
I don't know about that.

If you build a successful company, isn't it more sensible to continue to run and build it up rather than sell it off to the highest bidder who would be a larger company and further the "Big Business" model screwing the average Joe? Surely a successful business isn't going to just shut down because it's been there for whatever "too long" is...

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
And the U.S. isn't just going to shut down either.

We pretty much do have term limits, self-imposed, because we are collectively pissed at whoever we elect, the job they are doing, and replace them with a fair bit of regularity. :)

And the U.S. isn't just going to shut down either.

We pretty much do have term limits, self-imposed, because we are collectively pissed at whoever we elect, the job they are doing, and replace them with a fair bit of regularity. :)
No, many folks that are not the president have sat in the same seat for many years.

Many?

Yes. Some. What percentage of the 535 members in congress would be considered "lifers?"

Many?

Yes. Some. What percentage of the 535 members in congress would be considered "lifers?"
There are 143 representatives with at least 10 years of "service" (to who I'm not sure - themselves?). The average current tenure is 9.7 years (almost 5 terms).

Google is my friend... I don't know much, but I can find a lot... My son often asks me ridiculous questions (as he plays games on his phone and snapchats) that I don't know, but in less than a minute I can find the answer.

I have no problem with long-term people in freely elected positions. It's who the people want. If they don't want them, vote them out.

Better the Devil you know. :)

You surely can't mean to imply or state that your broad-stroke generalizations aren't equally absurd. Pretty funny.
His "broad generalization" was that people who didn't need the money would either put it in savings or buy some luxury. I would say that would cover what most people will do with it. Some of those who don't really need it may even spend it on drugs and or alcohol.

His "broad generalization" was that people who didn't need the money would either put it in savings or buy some luxury. I would say that would cover what most people will do with it. Some of those who don't really need it may even spend it on drugs and or alcohol.
But he doesn't say "people". It's "self-proclaimed conservatives" or "true conservatives"...

It's the generalization that conservative = rich folk and liberal = suppressed poor folk that some of us are taking issue with. We're all pretty much held in check by the 1% and crooked politicians no matter what our political leaning is...

But he doesn't say "people". It's "self-proclaimed conservatives" or "true conservatives"...

It's the generalization that conservative = rich folk and liberal = suppressed poor folk that some of us are taking issue with. We're all pretty much held in check by the 1% and crooked politicians no matter what our political leaning is...
Yes he said that but he qualified it by saying true conservatives who don't need it. He in no way implied that no conservatives need it.

Also applies to true liberals that don't need it then.

Yes he said that but he qualified it by saying true conservatives who don't need it. He in no way implied that no conservatives need it.
Is it just assumed that ALL liberals who qualify and don't "need" it will automatically donate it "for the greater good"? Or is it assumed that ALL liberals who qualify "need" it?

Point being that it is unnecessary to politicize it by calling out "conservatives". Call out the 1% if you like, but rich folk don't qualify for it. They got a whole different deal to screw the rest of us...

Is it just assumed that ALL liberals who qualify and don't "need" it will automatically donate it "for the greater good"? Or is it assumed that ALL liberals who qualify "need" it?

Point being that it is unnecessary to politicize it by calling out "conservatives". Call out the 1% if you like, but rich folk don't qualify for it. They got a whole different deal to screw the rest of us...
Again he was pointing out the hypocracy of people who typically are the group complaining about people using govt money when they don't need it.

But yes I agree we as a country need to stop politicising everything

… But yes I agree we as a country need to stop politicising everything …

Oh, now, that's just crazy talk. This country is built on politicizing everything. :)

Just joking. I agree.

Reactions: bholler
What does “need” have to do with it? Everybody has bills that “need” to be paid. We all “need” money to pay bills. I hope my kids never live so far above their means, so paycheck to paycheck, with such limited skills to adapt that they become one of the minority that can’t weather this brief storm without an infusion of helicopter money. I do hope they are smart enough to catch any mysterious helicopter money falling from the sky and put it to good use. They can be liberal, conservative, or just humans and still be smart.

We (my wife & I) are conservative. We spend conservatively. We make less than some siblings but are viewed as "the well off ones" because of responsible habits (or cheap as the accusation sometimes is). We don't eat out 3 or 5 times a week. We shop the sales at the grocery store and freeze it. We don't immediately spend every dime that comes in so in times of need there is something there. Our tax return goes into savings, not spent on the latest gadgets. The newest and lowest mileage vehicle we have is an '08 with 284k miles. Got teased at Xmas for finally replacing the gigantic old '92 TV with a flat screen - look! They're finally in this century! But it worked until just before Xmas - albeit sometimes with a whack. But it is suggested I should give the stimulus away because I'm conservative when it's just a cash advanced tax credit... and yes, we do support charities both financially and by volunteering.

As the old saying goes, "live poor, you wont be poor." I live buy that motto as well.

Anywho..........as far as term limits go....if their are term limits on the man who is suppose to be running the country...I am of the opinion their should be term limits on everyone else involved in politics. Lobbyists are the main form of corruption in our political system that needs to be addressed to me. Major companies like Amazon need broke up....and every other giant monopoly that we were suppose to have regulations against allowing. Their are so many problems with our system that a guy could rant for days and never cover all of them.....and they all are intertwined. I would say most longterm politicians are beholden to certain companies and lobbyists and that is why they keep their grip on power......theirs too much damn money to be made being a politician that is rotting this country from the inside out. Pure greed and special interest.

Reactions: NickW
I hope my kids never live so far above their means, so paycheck to paycheck, with such limited skills to adapt that they become one of the minority that can’t weather this brief storm without an infusion of helicopter money.
Unfortunately, depending on which study you cite, 49%-78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck and do not have 3 months worth of emergency funds... I bet most here do, but wood burners are a practical and smart lot... ;)

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
We pretty much do have term limits, self-imposed, because we are collectively pissed at whoever we elect, the job they are doing, and replace them with a fair bit of regularity.
The trouble with this is that without term limits the politicians work under the assumption they might be re-elected so they govern with that in mind.
Then again, (trying to think like a politician here) without the "accountability" of re-election what keeps them from doing whatever they want?