** EDIT** EXTREME COLD!! WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO? NOW THATS ITS GONE HOW DID YOU DO?? WHAT WOULD YO

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zero outside now ,but around 80 in the house ...when i wake it will be in mid 70's ,no oil propane or gas all wood furnace so bring on the cold ,im not scared

80?? I'd have to open a window!
I looked for a smiley with sweat dripping off it, but couldn't find one.

It's -1F out on the front porch thermometer right now. Suppose to get a lot colder tomorrow and Friday. Stove room 82F with the window open lol
The bedrooms are aprox 65F
Almost 3000sq ft ranch home and my Buck (non cat) is being it's normal self. Loves to eat wood but pumps out the heat like a beast even with the air at about 1/4 out. Burn times aren't good no matter which strategy I use when reloading. Oh well, I like tending the fire anyhow. Our propane furnace has not come on since we bought our stove last winter. I want to add a small light outside the big family room (stove room) windows so I can watch the snow fall while sitting in front of the stove at night time. Out here in the woods it's just too dark to see anything out those windows after dark.
I guess I just love the magic of it all.......

north of 60 said:
As for closing schools these days, waddup widdat? I had a walk a mile every day to catch the bus in all kinds of weather. Didn't have a shelter to wait in either.

You forgot to mention it was both ways uphill in your bare feet.

bare footed with barb wire wrapped around feet for better traction

1:30am it is minus 12 outside and 71 in the kitchen. Heating 100% with an old airtight non epa stove, feeding it red oak that came down in early 08 ice storm. Just up to stoke the fire, waiting for the stove temps on the smoke dragon to stabilize to head off to bed. Hoping like crazy that my semi doesn't gel up on today's run to Norfolk, Ne.

well its 6am gotta go to work house is clinging to 70..... don't think it will make it today without help from the furnace since i won't be here to keep it up
my themp outside is 4 ..... gotta put more insulation ... i can feel cold air getting sucked through my vents in the ceiling

tnroadkill said:
north of 60 said:
As for closing schools these days, waddup widdat? I had a walk a mile every day to catch the bus in all kinds of weather. Didn't have a shelter to wait in either.

You forgot to mention it was both ways uphill in your bare feet.

bare footed with barb wire wrapped around feet for better traction

And carrying my younger sister.

LLigetfa said:
My gas furnace kicks in every morning after the wood burns down to coals. Beats waking up to a cold house and it's better on the house and furniture to keep the temps stable. The furnace is also what the humidifier runs on. For about $2 a day, it's a small price to pay to keep the wife happy.

I've got my gas furnace set at 62, and it didn't kick on last night. We had a low of -18. However, I did put my $2 in the furnace a few minutes ago
to take the chill off, give the stove a head start, and make the woman happy. It's cheaper than a pint of IPA at the tavern, and I don't think twice
about getting one of those. No guilt. Maybe a little...the furnace, not the pint.

So far were making out very well..

The stove has been cranking pretty hard the last two days, The house is staying around 70 with a 2:00am stove feeding.

The only extra heat we ended up adding was an electric radiator for our bedroom and bathroom.

Heck, the house is warmer now than it has been all winter cause I've actually been working to keep it warm! It was 0 this morning, supposed to get to 8 today, and -9 tonight. Well see how warm the house is when I get home around 4.... hmm.

we are doing well too, cant imagine not haveing a woodstove though. I left this morning at 7:15, the stove was loaded at 6:20 and as I walked out the door it was 74 in the house. I did leave the furnace set higher at 67 degrees with a swing of 2 so with -7 this am and only calling for a high of 5 degrees today I figure that the furnace will kick on around 3pm for my house.

Yep...cold as heck!
Bad time of year to:

A) Get a new puppy!
P1010020-1.jpg

As a note puppies don't like cold, there poor little bellies drag. Ever see a dog terd freeze before it leaves the pup?....ugly scene.
Look she likes the Wood Stove already!
P1010028.jpg

B) Renovate the house! As the rebuild from the flood continues important things like heat for the new basement kinda become paramount. It radiant floor heat should be complete tonight!
Oh by the way...no sleep walking at the tree house...that first step is a doozy!
P1010027.jpg

At least the front has steps.
P1010016.jpg

Breaking records here in Iowa. Last I heard temps were around -32.

I hate it. I had a hip replacement in June and didn't get all my wood in for the season. I've been out of wood for a few weeks and at single digits outside my gas furnace runs all the time. Thank God I insulated my attic floor and upstairs walls in the fall.

With all this cold weather people are starting to realize the manufactures sq ft heating numbers are way off. I predict many upgrades next year.

This is the weather where the new stove just can't keep up. It's amazing how much more heat the old stove in the back will put out. Granted it gobbles wood and won't sustain a burn for more than a couple hours, but when you need the big heat it comes through.

Can't speak about the newer stoves, since I don't have one..................yet. ;-)
Went to bed at 10:30, woke this morning at 2:30, hot coals in stove, put in some kindling and 4 big splits. Woke this morning @ 7:30 to living room at 59 and probe therm in front window showing -24. New record for me in this house. Went out to kennel to check on dogs, (ceiling insul. @ R38 and walls @ R19) and the doggone (pun?) furnace was running every five mins. or less. I DO NOT want to see that bill.
Living room is just now @70. Everyone still home has robes and blankets on. ME, longies. HEHE :coolsmile:
Oh, wait...........time to add some splits. Need...............more..........wood, aaaaarrrrgggg.
Dave

I have no more doubts about this stove. We had 14 below this morning, I loaded 8 medium to large splits last night at 11 and at 7 this morning I had a 3" thick coal bed that would have provided enough heat to maintain 72 inside until noon! This stove loves the cold weather! Anyway, I loaded her back up and I left the house this morning, can't wait to see how it did today. We have never in 12 years of burning wood been this comfortable.

You guys stay warm, the cold front will pass.

I'm in a T-shirt today. Plus 20 degrees here in the Arctic. Go figure.

pistonslap said:
I hate it. I had a hip replacement in June and didn't get all my wood in for the season. I've been out of wood for a few weeks and at single digits outside my gas furnace runs all the time. Thank God I insulated my attic floor and upstairs walls in the fall.
Anybody in PA who would be willing to haul a few wheelbarrow loads for a fellow? Now's the time boys.

granpajohn said:
pistonslap said:
Anybody in PA who would be willing to haul a few wheelbarrow loads for a fellow? Now's the time boys.

Appreciate the thought, I'm all healed up and will be cutting and splitting some high and dry oak this weekend. Still a reasonably young guy(54). Pure laziness in the spring was the problem.

-40 outside this morning, without the wind, which was minimal. Oil boiler kicked on around 5 this morning, had thermostat set at 50, then I got up and reloaded the stove Quad 2100. Stove is too small in this part of the world with an old, drafty house, but I realized this too late, oh well, it still helps a lot. It was 62 in the house when I left for work, and boiler only ran once last night. I think we might hit -15 for a high today, -12 yesterday for a high. Might be above 0 tomorrow, break out the shorts, maybe some volleyball. Keep warm.

Most likely going to be in the minus numbers here in NE Pennsylvania tonight. I have the oil furnace set on 60 and it hasn't come on yet this winter. Most likely won't tonight either. I'll just keep feeding wood on the fire and see what happens.

I know 8 degrees is down right warm right now for a lot of you but we just ain't programmed for that stuff here. Looks like I put on the body armor and fight the outside cat into the laundry room for the next couple of nights. I am going to run half loads in the 30 and reload in the middle of the night instead of waiting for it to cruise down with a massive load of coals in it.

Gas central heat will be running some, and Ill be short cycling the wood burning insert, never letting the top get cooler than 400 likely.

that will likely require me to reload around midnight or 1 am ( I stay up late all the time anyway) and again at 5 am or so.

that way the house will be warm for the kiddos to get up and shower, and they like to dry off in front of the fire on school mornings.

expected temp of ZERO tonight here in NorthWest Arkansas.

wow.

Im having a harder time keeping the chickens water thawed out, than keeping my house warm.

Last night we set I think a local record low of something like -26 or lower. We have lived her for 11 years and this is the coldest I can ever recall it being. Only a high of -4 today.

I last loaded the upstairs fire at around midnight and an about an hour before that the wood stove and it was 74 upstairs this morning. So we did good. -13 below tonight.

I rode my bicycle down to the Post office to check the P.O. box and at -11 my nose started to burn by the time I got there (1/2 mile from house). I try not to start vehicles to drive them in such short distances even more so when so cold.

My neighbor said his Ford F150 (2008) barely started this morning and his display showed -28. The sensor for my temperature thingy is attached to our siding so I guess it could read a degree or two warmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.