EF4 Pellet Stove heat exchanger question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KipL

Nov 16, 2015
Massachusetts
I inherited an Enviro EF4 pellet stove. I had some problems with the connector to the ignitor but fixed those, and the stove starts reliably now.

On startup, the heating element is energized and the auger feeds pellets into the burn pot. After a few minutes they will begin to smoke for 20-30 seconds then the flame appears. Once a thermostat detects 120 degrees in the exhaust, the ignitor is switched off. There also seems to be a timer in that circuit - if sufficient heat isn't detected within a certain amount of time, the stove "gives up" and shuts down. This usually happens when the stove has run dry and I refill it then try to start it. I think in this case, because the auger tube has been emptied, it takes too much time for the pellets to fill that tube and begin dropping into the burn pot. The stove will try to start and eventually give up. If I do another startup, the pellets will reach the drop and it'll start.

To prevent having to do this second start, if I know the stove has run dry, I'll toss a few pellets in the pot manually. This usually works. But today, the pellets ignited before the stove sensed heat and, even though they were burning, the stove timed out and shut down. The pellet flame disappeared and a huge amount of smoke filled the chamber.

This would be fine, except that the smoke started wafting out of the heat exchanger output area (where the hot air is blown out) which is located along the top front of the stove. And there was a lot of it. This doesn't seem right to me...I would think the heat exchanger would be designed to isolate the exhaust air space from the room air space. If that were the case, I don't see how the smoke in the chamber would be able to leak out of the hot air output and into the room. I quickly did a restart to reenergize the combustion blower, and the flame returned and stopped the smoking.

The heat exchangers in this stove are square tubes, welded into the main body of the stove. Seeing all that smoke pouring out of the hot air exhaust made me suspicious, so while the stove was running I held a CO detector right at the hot air output - nothing detected.

Could I have a broken weld somewhere, or does this make sense in some way?

Thanks for any advice.

Is the smoke coming out of the tubes themselves or where they are connected to the frame of the stove? I would inspect the welds and the tubes and look for holes or cracks.

Does your stove have an OAK (outside air kit)?
A few years ago I had a customer with the same
stove experience the same problem. It turned
out to be the smoke was coming out of the air intake
and coming up the inside of the stove. it was coming
out the area of the heat exchanger from inside the cabinet
Also check what ssyko said

Is the smoke coming out of the tubes themselves or where they are connected to the frame of the stove? I would inspect the welds and the tubes and look for holes or cracks.
Hard to say, without disassembling the stove (which I plan to do soon). The tubes have horizontal fins in front of them, making it hard to inspect them closely. I was thinking broken welds and/or cracks too, but I also expected that if that were the case, I'd be measuring some CO leakage, which doesn't seem to be happening.

Thank you for replying!

I'm not sure what you mean by an OAK, but if you're talking about a separate pipe leading from outside to the air inlet pipe in the back, then no. When you say coming out of the air intake, do you mean coming out of that rear pipe, or somewhere inside the stove?

I'll have to try to make it happen with both side doors open, so I can see inside. Thanks very much for replying.

OAK Outside Air Kit (OAK)
Air used for combustion is drawn in from outside
the Pipe, is located at the back of the stove and leads right to the burn
pot in the firebox. If the exhaust pipe (chimney) is not warm enough or
not installed properly smoke can and will escape from the combustion air intake pipe
What is the configuration of your chimney?

What is the configuration of your chimney?

Cleanout T (or whatever it's called) out from stove, 8+ ft vertical rise, 1 90 deg elbow, then short horizontal out through concrete wall, < 30 deg elbow (adjustable) outside, facing down just enough to keep rain/snow out. Only detect/smell smoke when startup fails as I've described, and in that instance it wafts out of the hot air output area. Thanks.

I’m going with this one.

I'm going to have to force it to happen (wait for flame then remove power so combustion fan stops, flame goes out, mega-smoke appears) while watching what I can see inside and behind the stove.

I'll post what I find (I don't like it when somebody asks for help with an issue, eventually solves it, but never follows up with the folks who helped.)

Thanks all.

I'll post what I find (I don't like it when somebody asks for help with an issue, eventually solves it, but never follows up with the folks who helped.)
Happens all the time
When they stop posting we just figure that we helped
that's why this forum is here

Ha! Was reading through my posts here and re-read this one. I guess I'm a hypocrite...I never posted a follow-up.

That being said, I had to stop troubleshooting this as the boss ("She who must be obeyed") told me not to run the stove anymore after it spewed out all that smoke into the house.

If I ever do solve it, I'll be sure to post the solution (if I don't forget).

Thanks for all the advice.