Efel wood fireplace chimney piping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg63

Sep 10, 2016
Ontario
I have an older Efel wood burning fireplace in my "A" frame cottage and would like to replace the single wall orange chimney pipe with an insulated pipe system, but I dont know what I need.
I can tell you this - the existing pipe is 8", single wall, travels 13' before entering an insulated box at the roof.
The existing pipe runs close to a central wooden stairwell and I am concerned that it could burn someone who might touch it, or the heat could do damage to the stairs.

What do I require to swap out the existing single wall pipe system?
143186.jpg

Any advice, thoughts or whatever would be appreciated. I have attached a picture of a similar fireplace.
143186.jpg
Greg.

Attachments

• 143186.jpg
    143186.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2,858
Usually it's best to match the chimney pipe brand. Do you know the brand of chimney pipe?

That sounds like the stove connector pipe. The chimney pipe is what it connects to at the box at the roof.

That sounds like the stove connector pipe. The chimney pipe is what it connects to at the box at the roof.
Sorry, I am unfamiliar with the correct terminology.
The stove has a rear exit which has a black corrugated 90 degree elbow attached. After that is 10' of orange pipe, then 3' of black pipe which then connects to an insulated box which passes through the roof.
I would like to replace all the pipe from the rear of the stove/fireplace up to the box that passes through the roof.

The concern is how to securely and tightly join the new double-wall stove pipe to the chimney pipe at the chimney support box. This is pretty straight-forward when using the same brand stove pipe as the chimney because they make joining pieces that assure a good connection.

I agree, and that is something I dont want to take on without proper information. That is why I joined this forum.
Hopefully I can get the information I need so I can do the job properly.

BTW - any info about the older Efel stoves would be helpful.

Here are some pictures of what I am working with.

Attachments

• IMG_20160917_152126.jpg
    IMG_20160917_152126.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_20160917_151849.jpg
    IMG_20160917_151849.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_20160917_151825.jpg
    IMG_20160917_151825.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 327
That's the stove pipe. The chimney pipe is what it attaches to and what is above the roof.

I want to replace the stove pipe with insulated chimney pipe. Is that doable?
Yes but you will have to replace the entire thing unless you can find the same chimney you have going through the roof. You will also have to figure out how to support it.

Double-wall stove pipe is what would usually would be used for this long run of stove pipe. Normally the stove pipe brand matches the chimney pipe brand for mating fittings. Double-wall stove pipe is not the same as double-wall insulated chimney pipe which would be overkill as a replacement and much more expensive. You can install double-wall stove pipe in place of the orange single-wall stove pipe if there is a way to properly adapt it at the chimney support box to the chimney pipe.

Have to ask ... 60-early 70's install? In-laws cabin on the lake had an orange and turquoise flooring paint!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.