Effectiveness of blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wolves1

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2014
Malverne ny
A blower on an insert is a must to get the hot air into the room. I’m wondering about a blower on a freestanding stove since the heat from the stove is released into the room. Also how does the blower effect the burn, I can see as soon as I turn the blower on the cat thermometer temp drops. Is that the cat temp dropping or is the air hitting the coil causing the thermometer temp to drop and not the cat?

When we bought our home it had an insert with a blower and then after nearly ten years I changed over to a free standing stove on the hearth in front of the fireplace. So, I have experience with both stove types. I would never consider adding a blower to my free standing stove since it radiates heat just fine. However, where there is a big difference is a quality of life issue: no fan noise/pure silence. I would hate to have to return the constant noise of a blower running after enjoying the peace and quiet of a free standing blowerless stove.

Reactions: webfish
The fan will actually “pull” more heat from the stove compared to no fan. If it is a very cold day, or if the stove body is climbing to a temp higher than I like, I turn the fan on and get the heat off the stove. This will in turn require a stronger burn to keep the temps up.

Reactions: Beldin
Totally agree with Jags. Night and day difference with our T6 after adding the blower after the first winter. IMHO, the blower also allows more flexibility in firebox loads and control of room temperatures with varying outdoor temps. The adjustable blower on the T6 is very quiet when on low speed.

If I had a single room/small square foot home you may not need the blower, but for multi room/floor homes I believe the blower is worth the investment.

Rhetorical question: when you get into your car on a cold or hot day, do you turn the climate control fan on or off?

There was a larger discussion on fans earlier this year, but here's the thing with fans.

They pull extra heat off the insert, yes. A key distinction though is that a fan itself doesn't impact burn time. If I can run my insert choked down all the time, the fan hasn't impacted my burn time versus had I not run it, at least to any significance. However, here's where the answer starts getting tricky. If the fan is pulling off more BTUs than the fire provides, you're cooling off the insert, which means at some point internal temperatures will drop to where you're no longer burning cleanly. At this point, you need to increase the air to the fire to at least maintain these temperatures. This is when burn times start to noticeably decrease.

There was a larger discussion on fans earlier this year, but here's the thing with fans.

They pull extra heat off the insert, yes. A key distinction though is that a fan itself doesn't impact burn time. If I can run my insert choked down all the time, the fan hasn't impacted my burn time versus had I not run it, at least to any significance. However, here's where the answer starts getting tricky. If the fan is pulling off more BTUs than the fire provides, you're cooling off the insert, which means at some point internal temperatures will drop to where you're no longer burning cleanly. At this point, you need to increase the air to the fire to at least maintain these temperatures. This is when burn times start to noticeably decrease.
That is the best explanation I’ve heard. That is exactly what happens is I cut the air down to low or close it and the fan is on I get more blacking of the glass.

Seems like this thread has it covered. I use the fan on my stove to shorten cycle time and increase output. Pushed with the fan and smaller splits, I can get through 4 cycles on a weekend or be sure that my after work load is burned down when I want to load it for the night. It's also a good insurance policy when the temps outside get into the teens and the draft is strong.

Which brand of insert are you all talking about?How about a signature below your post wood help!