Efficient settings for Harman Advance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thom

Feb 3, 2008
Central CT
This is my first time posting so please excuse any ignorance I show. I searched all over here but in short I didn't really find what I was looking for. I have a 2 yr old Harman Advance which has at times been brilliant but more so not. It is (meant to be) the only heating source in my house. My house is about 2,500 sf, split ranch with an addition over the garage, in essense making it 3 floors high. The stove is in my (finished) basement with a couple vents cut in the ceiling to the above dining room as well as the stairway to disperse the heat. I try to run it on room mode as the outside temp varies so much here in CT but I can't seem to find any settings which are truly efficient, includind where to put the probe. I am burning about 2-2 1/2 40lb bags of Eagle Valley pellets a day when in the past I got by with 1-1 1/2 bags. I just had a faulty combustion motor replaced (on warranty) and I clean it religiously. My goal temp is for the living room addition above my garage to be between 65-67 but I haven't got any consistent results with the settings I have tried. Any suggestions at all would be appreciated and attempted.

Have you tried extending the probe and locating it in the addition? This may not be a practical solution, but at first read it seems like you're expecting a lot out of your stove :)
As far as burning through more pellets this year versus last, I think hear from most of our NorthEast posters atht they're in that boat as well (myself included). December 07 and January 08 my pellet usage was about 80% greater than those months the prior year.

Welcome to the forum! (GO PATS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.