Eglander: stove vs furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cityslicker

Dec 2, 2008
Wadstucky, ohio
New to the site. Hearth.com is a cornucopia of valuable insight which I have come to greatly appreciate. However I must confess that with all this info I have been struggling over which type of wood heater I should invest in. I currently have a stove manufactured by cfm. It is the smallest one they made at the time and very similar to the small englander offering at lowes. It came with the home I recently purchased and works ok (will maintain a temp of 64-65 until the temp goes below 30 deg. than the furnace will kick on) I currently have the stove installed in my basement (less dust/ashe) with a fan attached to the ceiling joists about 10' away from the stove pushing the air to my stair well.

My buddy has a englander nc-13 installed in his basement and is acheiving tempatures in the high 70s for his ranch home with no assist from the furnace. I am now suffering from stove envy and was very interested in the Englander NC-30 offered at home depot. Looks like a great stove. After some researching I now think a wood/coal furnace like the Englander 28-3500 might be better suited for my ranch with finished attic (1600 s.f.). I do enjoy the fact that my current stove has the secondary combustion and burns very clean but I need an evenly distributed heat source. I have looked at DAKA furnace but am concerned about my home becoming a soot covered relic bathing in the smoke of a non/epa stove. Does anyone know if the englander 28-3500 wood/coal furnace has a secondary combustion (epa stove)? I looked on their site and couldn't find any info regarding secondary combustion? Thanks in advance.

rant: it seems according to the 3 local home depots I spoke with that the englander brand wood stove is to no longer be carried at the stores...:( They are still available on the website but not at the stores. Apparently lowes still carries em at the store. Can anyone shed some light on this?

i would get the 30NC or maybe the smaller 13 for your house instead ,i have a new 28-3500 addon Englander stove and dont get me wrong its a really good unit that gets the job done but it would likely sweat you out of house and home ,i have a 2,000 sq feet i use it exclusively to heat it and its almost too much stove for my house i usually leave some windows open all day long its nothing to hit high 80's on a cool 25-30 degree night (wife has trouble sleeping if its too hot lol )with damper partialy open and some dry oak ,im sure theres ways ot choke it down but in my humble newb opinion i think it would be overkill for a 1600 ranch house,it could heat a 3,500 sq house

Just do what I did and get both... :)

No idea about the HD not carrying ESW stoves.

The ESW 28-3500 is not a EPA certified clean burn furnace. It is also not designed to burn coal, only wood.

Be aware that the 30NC is the BIG-BIG brother to the stove you currently run. It is a pretty powerful unit.

EDIT: I do not mean that they are the same blood line, just comparing sizes.

cityslicker if you don't have a free source of wood I would take a closer look into the different free standing coal stoves on the market.

We've been heating with wood since the 70's I've grown use to the whole routine of it. The family appreciates being more than just warm on a cold winter day. Because of wood I've saved probably saved 100k of tax free money that has allowed us to pay off our home/cars early, purchased all kind of equipment and toys to make the job easier. Burning wood has allowed us to live debt free but if the wood wasn't in the backyard...we'd be burning coal.

Coal is bulletproof and ya don't have to dick with it.

Thanks all for your responses. I am again back to considering my first love the big daddy NC-30. Ideally I would like a stove that can heat my home evenly with the ability to burn all night for an easy start in the morning. I have unlimited access to free wood right now (done working for the man) mostly elm, wild cherry and some beech. Going to do a little more research and any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You haven`t really provided a detail plan of your home. However, leave the stove in the basement that is there now. And maybe put another upstairs?

I`m going to take a guess here, but even with ss liner and cost of stove and hearth, if you are going the englander route, shouldn`t be more than 3k. specially if you can do some of the work yourself?

This option gives you heat where you want it when you want it. Ie-you don`t neccessarily have to have both units burning at the same time/24/7..

IMHO-stoves and inserts are far less complicated than wood furnaces or wood boilers.

And will gobble up less fuel.

Ordered the Englander 30 NCH this evening. Should be here within two weeks. Will post some pics when I get her set up. I gotta say that I am so far very happy with HD. They knocked off an additional 10% on their 1299 shipped price when I ordered. Ordering the blower tomorrow directly from Englander. :)

No wood stove will evenly heat any house. It's hotter the closer you get to the stove. Period. The End.

I find this attribute of wood stove heat to be endearing, for what it's worth.

True, we have about a 3 degree variation from the kitchen to the living room to my office. Upstairs is about 3 degrees cooler. But we can live with that.

Some stoves and houses are pretty good for even heating. It depends on the stove location, stove type, insulation and floorplan.

Good luck with that big boy cityslicker. Let us know how it works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.