Eko 60 has arrived!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deerefanatic

Minister of Fire
Apr 6, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
Hi guys. Some of you may remember that last summer I tried to build my own hi-efficiency outdoor boiler. Well, the result was a total flop. Up until about January 1, it ran OK, but still was only doing probably 70% efficiency (some smoke, high stack temps)... Then the boiler began to have problems with firebricks falling down, and air flows getting messed up due to warping (boiler was not 100% water jacketed......) In the end, by the end of heating season, I had a typical OWB that hogged down the wood and smoked like crazy......

So I bought an EKO 60 from Dave at Cozy heat. I'm super excited! Mine came with the negative draft booster fan that they are now selling with the EKO's and I got it on sale for $6550 with free shipping...

I'm going to be buying one of Nofossil's computer systems also and doing some changes in my plumbing/setups to improve things and supply summer DHW if possible...

Great news Matt. Glad to hear that this is going to work out for you. In a total of 7 years I went through a homemade OWB to a Central Boiler 6048 and then to my existing EKO w/storage. The changes are expensive and frustrating but the end result is great. Keep us informed as the install goes forward. I'm really interested in how the negative draft booster works as these are new and this sounds like a good improvement.

Hi Matt-- welcome back to the Boiler Room -- glad you didn't throw in the towel on wood/ new & efficient burning methods.

Would you mind describing or posting photos of the draft inducer-- I'd like to learn about it in case it gives me ideas about how I might add one to my Econoburn- based system (which I am very happy with) to assist during initial start-up and/ or when opening the firebox door for loading.

Trevor

PYBYR, You asked about adding a draft inducer for initial start-up on your Econoburn. Why do you need anything to assist with the start-up on the Econoburn? Just wondering, I have used an Econoburn for two and a half years now and I have no issues with start-up what so ever.

altheating said:
PYBYR, You asked about adding a draft inducer for initial start-up on your Econoburn. Why do you need anything to assist with the start-up on the Econoburn? Just wondering, I have used an Econoburn for two and a half years now and I have no issues with start-up what so ever.

The only place to put it in my cellar that really allowed adequate space on all sides (old farmhouse) required a longer sideways run of flue pipe between boiler and chimney than I'd have ever preferred-

I'd checked with the folks at Econoburn (and they've been great to deal with) and they said it would not be a problem. But depending on the weather, etc., that long run between boiler and chimney (even though it does rise along the way) means that sometimes the overall set up does not begin to "draw" as strongly as I'd like until it gets hot.

I definitely don't _need_ a draft inducer- the Econoburn works great- but there are a few conditions in which I think the inducer might be a plus in my particular installation. Mainly I'd asked Matt because I'm interested in learning about the way in which the EKOs are presently using one.

Congratulations Matt. I remember your posts about your noble attempt. This sounds like an excellent solution!

One question - will you be adding a little green and yellow paint to the jacket on the EKO? ;-)

Maybe, just maybe..... :)

I know..... I'm two pipes away from being able to throw water in that puppy......... Then just get some basic wiring hooked up and I can start circulating water at least....... Once the chimney is installed, I'll be able to start heating DHW......

That seems like a very good price especially with free shipping. Do you know how much the EKO 25 cost? I was going to get a woodgun 100 but it's 6700 dollars plus 300 for shipping. It seems kind of high compared to your price .

Well, my price was also a sale price, which expired June 30th....... But, call Cozy Heat. They are sponsors of this forum and Dave and his crew are top-notch......

Status
Not open for further replies.