eko 60 question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cvanhat

Jul 3, 2008
upstate ny
what is everyone setting the eko controler on for this boiler. i started out at 180, then i lowered it to 165. im not sure what the controller is reading the temprature in. when you move the dial it shows a number and the letter "C" which in my mind means celcuis. then when it shows boiler temp its in fairenhiet. is this correct?? looks like with my 500 gallon storage i could actually let the fire go out and then refire the next day to reheat, but what is your stratagy for shutting it down?? do you turn up the controller and let it gasify itself out, or do you shut off the fans, then open the damper and bottom door and let it naturally burn?? i dont think i will need to run it cotinually in this 30-40 degree weather. any ideas would be welcomed. thanks all....

(C x 1.8) + 32 = F
(F - 32) / 1.8 = C

I run mine at 80C which is the top temp for the old controller. The new controller will go up to 195F and it reads out in F.

Just run the boiler until it runs out of fuel. That's all you have to do. There shouldn't be much if anything left in the firebox but fine ash when it's done. Might as well recover as much heat as you can.

Starting the boiler from scratch isn't all that difficult, but it takes some practice to get good at it. You'll also need a supply of paper/cardboard/kindling if you're starting from scratch on a regular basis.

gassifier with storage means a good supply of kindling is a must. Well let me explain that was what I was told. I haven't got mine in yet. But the idea is you let the tank drop down to 130 or 140 than start your fire and it should heat the tank up to 170 or 175. Depends on tank size, etc. In this weather it might take 2 or 3 days before you need to light it up again. Obviously depends on your need for heat, but set it up so your furnace runs wide open.

cvanhat said:
what is everyone setting the eko controler on for this boiler. i started out at 180, then i lowered it to 165. im not sure what the controller is reading the temprature in. when you move the dial it shows a number and the letter "C" which in my mind means celcuis. then when it shows boiler temp its in fairenhiet. is this correct?? looks like with my 500 gallon storage i could actually let the fire go out and then refire the next day to reheat, but what is your stratagy for shutting it down?? do you turn up the controller and let it gasify itself out, or do you shut off the fans, then open the damper and bottom door and let it naturally burn?? i dont think i will need to run it cotinually in this 30-40 degree weather. any ideas would be welcomed. thanks all....

I have the 40, but let me try to answer some of your questions. I set the controler to max (195) in order to pump the most heat to my house which is over 100 feet from the EKO shed. This way I can be sure to get 180 in the house (I have hydronic baseboard system).

When you move the dial, the "C" is showing the temperature you are setting at - it has nothing to do with celcius - and I'm not sure why they use "C". The boiler temp will display in fairenheit.

I don't have storage yet, but I can imagine that you can get a lot more heat from the furnace if you have storage - it just makes sense when you operate for a little while. You should let the unit gasify itself, opening the doors to burn naturally will cause problems - probably a chimney fire, so let it burn out.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.