EKO 80 stainless grate update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

leaddog

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2007
Hesperia, Michigan
I've had my eko80 for about 7 years and the slots were getting badly eroded and large coals were falling through. I had read how others had made angle iron grates so I thought I would give it a try. I didn't have any angle but did have 1/4 x 2in stainless so I cut it into 7in long pieces and welded it into angle. I dropped it into the slots and measured it for the end pieces and cut them. I welded them up and it gave me about 5/8 in slots.
The 80 has two slots so I welded up two of them.
Well I've been firing now for about a month and it is running better than new. I'm getting very little ash and didn't have to make any adjustments. I don't clean the ash out of the upper chamber, just stir it good before filling each time. That leaves about 2in of ash and coals which protects the grate and so far I can't see any wear but time will tell. Even if I have to replace it every year it will be better than replacing the ceramic plus I get a better burn.
Right now I'm burning hemlock which I always had trouble burning before as it doesn't seem to coal well and it is burning good.
My ash output seems to be about 1/2 less than when it was new and I got very little before.
I did make a 1/4in hook that I slide up from the ash door each time I load to make sure the slots are open after I stir the ash from the top as a couple of times the slots were plugged and took awhile to fire up.
Very easy and cheap fix
Sorry I didn't take any pic

Reactions: Stlshrk
Leaddog,
I built a similar SS nozzle last year for my EKO 25 and it has been working great. It's not showing any wear and like you said the boiler is running perfect. Wish I would have done it sooner. My welding isn't pretty but it works.

img_1077-smaller-jpg.176339.jpg

I replaced the nozzle of my eko 40 last year with the cast offering from ahona. I wish I had done it a year earlier. It is amazing how much better the unit burns now.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

I replaced the nozzle of my eko 40 last year with the cast offering from ahona. I wish I had done it a year earlier. It is amazing how much better the unit burns now.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Did you have to do a lot of grinding or shaping to the new nozzle to make it fit? I have heard that the new nozzles don't fit perfectly and require a lot of prep. Mine needs replaced as well, after 9 years of use, but I have hesitated to do it because i didn't want to worry about it not fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you have to do a lot of grinding or shaping to the new nozzle to make it fit? I have heard that the new nozzles don't fit perfectly and require a lot of prep. Mine needs replaced as well, after 9 years of use, but I have hesitated to do it because i didn't want to worry about it not fitting.

If you can fab up a nozzle like I did you can size it to your existing nozzle. It's really easy fix and cheap and really works. It took me maybe an hour and I'm slow because I had back hardware put in this summer
leaddog

If you can fab up a nozzle like I did you can size it to your existing nozzle. It's really easy fix and cheap and really works. It took me maybe an hour and I'm slow because I had back hardware put in this summer
leaddog

Did you dot the new fabricated steel nozzle over the existing and worn out one? Or did you remove the old nozzle and then put the steel one in its place? Is your fabrication only a "top" piece, or does it extend downward into the hole leading toward the secondary chamber? I am interested in trying this.

Did you dot the new fabricated steel nozzle over the existing and worn out one? Or did you remove the old nozzle and then put the steel one in its place? Is your fabrication only a "top" piece, or does it extend downward into the hole leading toward the secondary chamber? I am interested in trying this.

I made up 2inx1/4in angle from 2in flat stock. Then I dropped it into the existing slots and measured the space left and welded them up. One was just under 1/2 in and the other was over 1/2 in. They cover the existing slots on top and extend down into the slots. Make sure you don't cover the air holes in the slots. Mine didn't.
It is still working very good and I don't see any warpage or wear. My ceramic nozzles were very badly rounded over so the 2 in angle covered and all I get is fine ash blowing down. I just stir the ash on top and make sure I open the slot with a 1/4 in rod each time I load. There is always about 1 to 2in of ash in the upper chamber and that keeps the new nozzle safe. better than new
leaddog