Elbows in Hart and Cooley TCL All Fuel Class A chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
In browsing Hart and Cooley's catalog for chimney parts I found something strange. First of all, they don't offer any 90 degree elbows at all. Next, they stipulate that 45 degree elbows may only be used in oil and gas applications. Third, all they offer after that are 30 degree and 15 degree elbows. I need to locate my stove directly under the opening where the chimney will exit the basement, so how can I route the pipe through the wall without either 45 or 90 degree elbows? I've seen plenty of installs with a 90 degree bend coming right out of the stove and routing the chimney into the wall. I see that other manufacturers make double wall stove pipe with 90 degree elbows, but I'm afraid that they won't be compatible with the Hart and Cooley chimney-anyone have a solution?

Only 15 and 30 degree elbows are allowed for class A, high temp pipe. But you don't use this pipe on the interior past the thimble. On the interior you switch to a lower temp double-wall or single-wall pipe.

You might want to look at a Simpson DuraVent catalog for a more complete product line, especially if you need to use double-wall pipe on the interior in order to meet clearance requirements. Pipe from different manufacturers can't be mixed, so it's best to stick with a brand that offers a complete solution for your installation.

BeGreen said:
Only 15 and 30 degree elbows are allowed for class A, high temp pipe. But you don't use this pipe on the interior past the thimble. On the interior you switch to a lower temp double-wall or single-wall pipe.

You might want to look at a Simpson DuraVent catalog for a more complete product line, especially if you need to use double-wall pipe on the interior in order to meet clearance requirements. Pipe from different manufacturers can't be mixed, so it's best to stick with a brand that offers a complete solution for your installation.

That's kind of what I was afraid of-in that case could I use a tee in place of an elbow? In case you're wondering why I'm so insistent on using this particular pipe it's because I can get it at cost.

No, you transition after the thimble. What are you interior clearance constraints? What is the distance from the pipe in the wall thimble to the ceiling or ceiling joists above it? Is single wall pipe an option for the interior piping, maybe with a heat shield?

The place I got my Hart & Cooley chimney (http://www.djsonline.com/amerivent_sixwoodventing.htm) sells both single and double-wall stovepipe, and although I went with single wall from elsewhere they did tell me that no special adapter was needed to connect their double-wall pipe (Amerivent) to the stovepipe adapter in the ceiling support. The stovepipe side of that adapter appears to be a standard 6" single-wall male connector. I will admit I don't know how double wall would be connected to it exactly, but that's what I was told.

BeGreen said:
No, you transition after the thimble. What are you interior clearance constraints? What is the distance from the pipe in the wall thimble to the ceiling or ceiling joists above it? Is single wall pipe an option for the interior piping, maybe with a heat shield?

The top of the pipe leading out through the thimble will probably fall within 12" if not a bit less than the floor joists, which as far as I understand it will require the use of double wall pipe. Even if it didn't, to me there is no such thing as overkill when talking about fire protection. I think what I need to do here is simply purchase the Hart and Cooley chimney from my source and then figure out how to make the connection inside. I can't get interior stove pipe from my source, so I'll just need to pay full price for it somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.