Electric chainsaw recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shmudda

Burning Hunk
Dec 6, 2009
Western Pennsylvania
I'm looking for an electric chainsaw to use in by garage basement over the winter. This saw will only be used to trim up a piece of wood that won't fit into the stove. I burn some vey large pieces so I need something that will go thru a 10" diameter log or so, but I don't want to spend a lot of cash for something I will use for maybe five cuts per season.

Give me the good, bad and ugly if anyone uses an electric saw for this type of work

Craig

I have a lot of overlong splits in my stacks. When I find one while loading the wheelbarrow to move the wood to the house, I stack it on the sawbuck with the other long splits. When there are enough of them I bungee them together and cut them all at once. The point is that I use my regular chainsaw outside to cut the long splits. Do you cut your own wood and therefore have a chainsaw? If not do you have a mitre saw/chopsaw? You'd need a big mitre saw for a 10 inch split unless you cut one side then flip it around and cut the other.

Sorry, I can't recommend a good electric chainsaw.

get a sawzall - about 100 bucks,much more versatile.

I know people love it when they ask a question and get unwelcome advice, but if you are coming up with a handful of incorrectly sized splits, then toss them in the yard and deal with them when they thaw out. You are just gonna make a sawdust mess and spend more time cleaning it up and have another piece of equipment to take care of.

I'd probably use the 026 you have listed in your sig, measure it outside then cut it.

Reactions: Ash_403
Without questioning your reasons, I have a 14 in. Homelite (for which I paid $50) and an 18 in. Poulan Pro (about $100). Either is quite adequate for the small number of cuts you require, though I would recommend the 18 in. if your wood is as large as 10 in. I am generally compulsive about length when bucking, so I rarely need to re-cut.

I have a Remington with a 14" bar. Decent cutting, but have to self oil the bar which is kind of annoying.

i hate the manual oiling ones. That's what my 12" Remington is like. I actually cut all of my wood one year with that thing. My thumb got mega strong.

i hate the manual oiling ones. That's what my 12" Remington is like. I actually cut all of my wood one year with that thing. My thumb got mega strong.

I guess you were prepared for thumb wrestling that year?

Tri state champion. Undefeated that season.

Dad has a Craftsman, 16" bar, (I think built by Poulan; dunno). Made some repairs to it and found significant plastic parts. But, replacement part was not costly, and if you don't push it too hard, it's a handy toy to have around. Cost around $100. It has lasted about 12 years after replacing a McCullough electric, which had the motor self-destruct.

Oh, on the oiler....the Mac was manual, and the Sears is auto. And it drips/leaks a little. Not too bad.

Keep the chain plenty sharp, and the electric saw is worthwhile.

I'm looking for an electric chainsaw to use in by garage basement over the winter. This saw will only be used to trim up a piece of wood that won't fit into the stove. I burn some vey large pieces so I need something that will go thru a 10" diameter log or so, but I don't want to spend a lot of cash for something I will use for maybe five cuts per season.

Give me the good, bad and ugly if anyone uses an electric saw for this type of work

Craig
I don't think I'd want to mess up my garage with any chainsaw, but having said that, I've found a cheap electric to be very handy for small jobs close in around the place. I got a "Hazard Fraught" 14" for about $30 on sale and it's actually pretty decent and has a good Oregon chain and bar and is auto oiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.