Electric/Plumbing Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I made the mistake of calling my town's electrical inspector office. I wanted to know what type of smoke detectors were recommended (ionization or photoelecric) and I got my head handed to me for not being a licensed electrician. It depends on the town and rules regarding doing your own work.
BS. Homeowners can do work. It’s a PITA BI you have an issue with.

20 years ago my town in MA allowed homeowners to pull electrical permits and the inspector would sign off on the work. Now it has to be performed by a licensed electrician $$$. The town has become so strict that even the electrician I recently hired had problems getting approval for a simple bathroom project.

The inspector was insisting on a much more expensive and complex wiring method than what was proposed. Thankfully the electrician was a true expert and calmly explained his thinking and the inspector signed off.

a few years back i did a smoke det job in somerville mass the fire prevention guy and the one from cambridge said that i need to put a heat detector over the stove. imagine a heat detector over the stove. you can only get 135 degree detectors. what happens when you open the oven????????? did another job which was a whole house in leominster. i had to go see the fire prevention officer and get the plans okayed and asked if she wanted a heat detector over the stove. she said for what that thing will be going off all the time and besides there is no requirement in mass. i told her about somerville and cambridge she said not to put one in that they were wrong, all the fire departments should all be on the same page. RIGHT. if i'm not mistaken each city or town has it written in their own bylaws some towns no some town yes. you have to check with the inspector. as long as the inspector can get his head through the doorway to your house it will go well other wise good luck.

Reactions: gthomas785
in mass the code is smoke det in every room with a carbon monoxide det on every habital floor. if there is more than 10 feet from the bedroom door and the c/o det it would need a second one installed. one rule that gets overlooked is that a carbon monoxide det can't be more that 20 feet from a fuel burning appliance and not closer than 5 feet according to the manufacturer of the detectors

in mass the code is smoke det in every room with a carbon monoxide det on every habital floor. if there is more than 10 feet from the bedroom door and the c/o det it would need a second one installed. one rule that gets overlooked is that a carbon monoxide det can't be more that 20 feet from a fuel burning appliance and not closer than 5 feet according to the manufacturer of the detectors
Thanks for posting this about smoke/CO detector's in MA - the codes are stricter than I knew.

yes they are but for a good reason. they just need to get on the same page

I think pump placement is best determined by size, depth, and location in the United States due to freeze concerns.

The pump you buy should have instructions on how they recommend you plumb it. Go big enough with the pond and you don’t have to worry about filtration and pumps.