Electric splitter with 4 way wedge (video)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Isaac Carlson

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2012
NW Wisconsin
Here it is up and running.
3hp 3500 rpm motor on 246 volts
11/1.7 gpm pump
550 psi shift and 3300 psi relief
21 tons

most of these pieces were sheared apart because of knots/crotches. It goes right through the straighter stuff.

Reactions: dafattkidd
Love the silent running. Did you make this splitter? I'm not sure the 4 way would be ideal for our stove. Most of the splits we burn in winter are thicker, in the 6-8" range.

We burn bigger splits too. I am splitting a bit smaller this year because we are behind on firewood.
It is nice to go without the ear muffs. It was so hard to hear with muffs and the gas motor running. It was very difficult to communicate.
Now you can easily talk over the pump whine. My favorite part is being able to hear the wood crackle when it splits.

Love the silent running. Did you make this splitter? I'm not sure the 4 way would be ideal for our stove. Most of the splits we burn in winter are thicker, in the 6-8" range.

I did make it. I have been making improvements over the years. The 4 way and electric motor are the latest mods.

Have you ever measured peak amp draw? Just curious what it would be.
Would be pretty easy to unbolt the gas engine and bolt a motor on...sure would be nice getting rid of that racket...and honestly, most of my splitting happens close to the garage anyways...hmm...

I have the pressures set so the hp never goes over 3.4 because it has a 1.15 service factor. This motor should be drawing around 14-14.5 amps at full load. I am using a 100 ft 12 ga cord so I can plug into the shop or main yard panel. There is no load when starting, so I just plug it in. Planning on installing a switch before winter. It costs less than 20 cents an hour to run.
I have a watt meter on the panel and will tryto remember to see what it says next time I run it.
A 16 gpm pump requires a 5hp motor which should be around 22-25 amps.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Not really. It has been a work in progress for the last 10+ years. It started out as a john deere 5 that my dad gave me. I broke my back and couldn't split by hand anymore. Heck, I couldn't do much of anything at that time. I replaced the bent cylinder, rebuilt the pump and motor, and fixed it up. I ran it that way for a couple of years and then was given the bigger beam, so that was the next improvement. The table came next. Then I added the bigger axle to raise it up to working height. Then I replaced the rectangle tank with the propane tank to reduce air entrainment. That was a big help. No air now. Then I added the stand so I didn't have to rest it on a log. I made the 4 way the next week. Now it's electric. It's so quiet compared to the old gas motor. I used a 3500 rpm motor because I didn't want to buy a new pump. You could use a 1750 rpm motor on a 22 gallon pump and get 11 gpm and it would be quieter and run a little cooler. The same goes for a 28 gpm pump to get 14 gpm.

7AE8351C-F200-4C12-A43B-418B3095AEC9.jpeg
A fella on Craigslist sent me this picture by request of an electric splitter he built and sold. It is a beast! I had details, but have forgotten them.

It would be nice to see a write up on this in the Gear Forum here.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
It would be nice to see a write up on this in the Gear Forum here.

What kind of writeup? How I did the conversion? The 4 way? Both?

very high pitched, i would definitely wear ear protection (as well as leg, arm, feet, and hand protection).

nice job. so did you have to put a oil cooler on it?