Electric Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigg_Redd

Minister of Fire
Oct 19, 2008
Shelton, WA
Looking for an electric splitter for my dad - it'll be used exclusively to re-split pieces he deems to be too big. He likes to make match sticks. Any must buys Or must avoids?

If you don't mind the "DR tax", they have a K10 kinetic log splitter that will handle 16" logs. 10 ton equivalent, they say.

And it is table top, so if your dad is splitting a bunch of smaller stuff anyway, this would save his back.

Runs $600.

My first splitter was an electric DR with the hydraulic cylinder enclosed inside the main frame like many on their site. I would stay away from those. Once the internal seals start to fail, and they will, they are almost impossible to fix. I ended up discarding it.

I would only recommend splitters with a standard external cylinder that can be gotten to and repaired if anything goes wrong. The splitter I have now, the Ramsplitter HV16-4 electric 16 T. splitter listed in my signature, works OK now, but only after about a year of fixing and rebuilding all the things that were not well done on the original.

Looking for an electric splitter for my dad - it'll be used exclusively to re-split pieces he deems to be too big. He likes to make match sticks. Any must buys Or must avoids?
For this kind of work, the Homelite 5-ton electric or Ryobi's version of it seems to be the way to go. I'd call them a "must have" for this kind of work. They are about $300 and can be delivered for that. Many members here have them (including me) and are completely happy with them. I've seen huge oak rounds split with them. I used mine at first for resplitting some stuff I got that was too big. Since then I've split much bigger rounds. Trouble-free for almost 4 years now. I put mine up on a plywood shelf between two sawhorses. No bending over.

In the winter, I take it into the garage and use it to split kindling when I need it. It weighs 100 lbs and is easy to transport. Look at them at Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homelite-5-Ton-Electric-Log-Splitter-UT49103/202019865

I see it has 540 reviews, nearly all positive.

Last edited:
I got the 7-ton Powerhouse. About $350. Price included shipping. Can do just what is needed but a bit more than the 5 tonners.
I use it quite a lot and I like it. No issues.

Reactions: Sprinter
Yeah, the key is how much you really need for your work. The 22-ton jobs are great for the big stuff and they are faster for more throughput, but for this kind of thing, any of the good electrics are the ticket. As said, I've done bigger work with mine that I thought I could, but most of my work is modest size. I only do about three cords per year, and I haven't even been tempted to rent a big one temporarily.

You do need a good electrical supply because they draw as much as they can get away with. I keep mine close to a primary circuit, but I have used it with a 100' extension cord of 12 gauge. But that was with the cord plugged in right near the box. But don't try to push it too much.

For the matchsticks, keep the boy scout hatchet and whittling knife handy too. The machine can only go so small.;)

But they are rugged and will surprise you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Like everyone said depends on what you actually want to do with it, but the Harbor Freight 5 ton electric has been a great buy for me. I know most of their stuff is junk but this thing has been great! I bought it to resplit pieces and make kindling. However, like all of us I wanted to see "what it could do" and have split some +/- 24" rounds rather easily just to see if I could haha. The nice part of this electric is the one hand operation, theres no 2 hand safety and it doesn't need to cycle 100% before you can get the ram heading back in the splitting direction. Makes getting into a rhythm rather easy. Great value if you can catch it on sale and the apply the 25% off coupon. I think I snagged it last year for $215, well worth the tryout. I just brought it over to a buddies to give some large cedar rounds a whirl, hopefully get a chance to try this weekend. I'll post a video if it can get through them

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-ton-log-splitter-61373.html

I had a HF model that I didn't use much. I would be fine for what your dad wants to do with it. I gave mine away to a friend because, like I say, I didn't use it. He likes it.

Thanks - my own research seemed to indicate that were all very comparable. I just wanted to avoid the real turds.
I haven't heard of any really bad ones. I like to buy big stuff like that locally from HD, Lowes, etc for the simple returns if needed. I had HD deliver mine to the house and have had no issues.

Thanks - my own research seemed to indicate that were all very comparable. I just wanted to avoid the real turds.
Look at the operation. Some require two hand switches, some don't. I like using one hand on the log, one on the lever. You have been warned.;lol

I like my HF 5 ton electric. I've had it two months with no problems. When I get up to 15 inch logs sometime not often it balks. If I move it around it usually splits on the next pass. If you want to you can keep resplitting them to a small diameter.

The lever is close to the ground. I put my left hand against the shed and operate it with my right foot.

Mine has been amazing and I used it to split 10 cords last year, and it's got to be 4-5 years old. The small wheels are a PITA, but that's life in a nutshell. With the electric motor I can work in the evening w/o annoying anybody.

The ONLY thing that matters is rigging up some way of making it hands-free. I was crippled with tennis elbows after a long week with that thing. I dreamt up a way to extend the handle, made a foot switch for the button and afterwards it was no longer an RSI in progress.

The other accidental bonus was the spring that returns the handle got dirty and quit working. Turned out to be brilliant because now I no longer had to wait for the wedge to return to fully retracted and then cover all that length again to split the next piece. If I'm working on 16" splits, I lift up on the handle, I let the wedge go back 17", push the handle down, put in the next split, and then work the splitter button with my foot switch. I've got both hands available if I need them. Saving 5-10 seconds a split seems to add up.

The other bit is I need to remember to close the venting thing when I'm moving it. I dragged it all the way down a hill once and didn't have enough hydraulic fluid to do anything once I got there!! :mad:

Reactions: Sprinter
The other accidental bonus was the spring that returns the handle got dirty and quit working. Turned out to be brilliant because now I no longer had to wait for the wedge to return to fully retracted and then cover all that length again to split the next piece. If I'm working on 16" splits, I lift up on the handle, I let the wedge go back 17", push the handle down, put in the next split, and then work the splitter button with my foot switch. I've got both hands available if I need them. Saving 5-10 seconds a split seems to add up.
Exactly the same thing happened to my Homelite 5-ton last year. I could have fixed it easily enough, but decided to leave it that way for the same reasons. Works nice that way.

Just for CYA, this may be considered a safety issue...

Reactions: Soundchasm
Status
Not open for further replies.