electric wood splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carpniels

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2005
Rome, NY, USA
Hi guys,

I thought I would pose this questions to the experts.

I split by hand (Fiskars 3# maul) which goes really well. But it is tiring after a while. Ands really hard on 24" plus diameter logs. So I have been looking at mechanical splitters. I do not want a combustible engine splitter, for the maintenance, size and storage. I want an electric splitter.

Which one do you like best? Which one do you use? I saw cheap chinese blue 4 ton electric splitters on Ebay and some yellow 5 ton splitter. I also came across the 4 and 6 ton (my preference) splitters from Dr Wood. Does anyone own and use one of these? Are they good? Worth the $650 (6 ton)?

http://www.drpower.com/TwoStepModel...p1Name=WoodSplitter2Step&src=AW51567XE2553829

Any other info is appreciated.

Carpniels

What about 12 electric splitter one that is made of real parts not those wimpy chinese made ones

how much mantinence is involved with a gas motor? for 650$ why not go the rest of the way to 900 and get one at home depot, plus the gas ones are alot higher off the ground and can be stood up for the real big stuff!! i use the stand up all the time

carpniels said:
Hi guys,

I thought I would pose this questions to the experts.

I split by hand (Fiskars 3# maul) which goes really well. But it is tiring after a while. Ands really hard on 24" plus diameter logs.
Carpniels

You might want to try whacking that log with an 8# maul and maybe invest in a wedge. I makes a world of difference at a much lower cost.

BG's right. There's a huge difference between a 6-pound and an 8-pound maul. I split all 24-inch wood and now use nothing but an 8-pounder. I spent most of the summer using a 6-pounder, but it's bigger cousin does the same work in about half the time.

Splitting energy imposed on a peice of wood has more to do with the speed of the maul than the weight. If you can swing an 8 pounder as quickly as a 6 pounder, then more power to you, and go for the 8 pounder. I find that the 6 pounder is enough, and at times bothers my forearm, so I personally am reluctant to go heavier.

Sometimes basic technique can be helpful. I think it was Eric who suggested splitting wood like your peeling an onion. Hack off peices on the outside of large rounds, and work your way in. Seems obvious now, but that one suggestion makes splitting big peices of Oak pretty easy.

Of course Elm...well we all know my position on elm.

My neighbor did try to split some elm with a Ryobi and the machine couldn't do it. You'll need a bigger machine than the 4 ton ryobi if you plan to do serious rounds, Elm, or heavily knotted wood. Sometimes Apple can be difficult too.

True enough, Warren. The 8-pounder has a much blunter edge and wider spread than my old K-Mart 6-pounder. One of these days I'm going to take a picture of the two side-by-side so people can see what we're talking about. The blunt maul heads are hard to find.

Outside-in is the best, and often the only way, to reduce big chunks to split wood. My standing recommendation for success in splitting wood by hand is:

It's all on the downstroke, so put your effort into pulling directly down.
Try to hit the same spot more than once.

Eric Johnson said:
It's all on the downstroke, so put your effort into pulling directly down.
Try to hit the same spot more than once.

Until I got the knack, I had the nickname of "lightning" because I never struck in the same place twice. Glad to say that with practice I have improved quite a bit.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, but it looks like we are getting a little off track here. I am only 5'11" and 175#. I am not a big burly woodsplitter that can easily work with a 8# maul (believe me I have picked one up at the store and it is HEAVY.

Due to my past trackdays (javelin), I am fast. So I seem to have a better splitting result with a really fast swing with a light maul, that the other way around.

But, I am still interested in an electric splitter. Warren, how does your neighbor like their Ryobi?

Thanks

Carpniels

Well carp, you're bigger than me. And I split 30 full cords last summer in my spare time.

Eric Johnson said:
Well carp, you're bigger than me. And I split 30 full cords last summer in my spare time.

30 cords by hand!!! Good night! I thought I was doing well splitting 2+ cords one weekend late fall...

hats off to ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.