Electricians ?: reverse polarity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I understand that, and totally follow what you’re saying, but we’re getting hung up on the original point. Relays are electromechanical devices, not “electronics”. Modern electronics, with very few exceptions, run on low voltage DC. Most frequently 3.3VDC. The OPs reversed outlet will have no bearing on them.

Most modern appliances are double-insulated, they likewise will not care about the reversed wiring. Some old appliances bonded the chassis to neutral, but folks figured out that was a problem 50 years ago, when mom got shocked by touching the electric range and refrigerator at the same time. Today, all major appliances have a separate (un-bonded) earth ground connection to the chassis (3 prong outlet), and it is illegal for manufacturers to bond neutral to the chassis.

I’m not sure this argument is still in the best interest of answering the OP’s question, nor am I saying you don’t know your appliances, I think we’re just getting hung up on symantics.

You're right about the OP. I consider anything with a circuit board "electronics" Had to change one today,$350.00 circuit board not supplying 120 to the xfmr to supply low voltage DC to the lights.

Reactions: Ashful
This is about 120v ac plug-in outlets, not hard-wired appliances. The main risk with an outlet reversed is that the hot leg is what is switched. A reversed outlet will mean the neutral is getting switched and the other (white) leg will remain hot. This could be dangerous if someone was fiddling with a plugged in appliance that they thought was switched off. Hopefully the person knows what they are doing, but they may be assuming that the hot leg is switched. Not a good practice of course for the average Joe, but then again there are Darwin awards handed out daily.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlbergSteve
Never worked on a hard wired reefer or gas range. Most electric ovens & ranges I see are hard wired but even then it depends on the installer.Funny, Bosch switches the neutral, really messed with the brain first time