Elm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

saewoody

Feeling the Heat
Feb 15, 2017
CT
Based on how difficult this is to split I'm guessing it's elm, but I thought I would get some more experienced opinions. Burned some of this same stuff this winter and it seems to burn well.
ce83a450fd7eb601a37ef1089bc30ce3.jpg9bbb3073f8a15aeeccab008d0aa01171.jpg6fe9dc8c3867c6f1b0192b52593572f6.jpg Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking like elm to me. The bands of light and dark on the cut surface of the bark is a sure sign it's elm. PITA to split but nice heat once it's dry.

Attachments

• w0004photo.JPG
    w0004photo.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 181
Reactions: saewoody
No fun to split without hydraulics.....I have a tree guy that will drop off log length if I give him a call, he had a load of Elm and asked if I had a splitter before he would drop it off.

Looks like elm to me as well . . . I actually like burning elm . . . I have done well by elm . . . but wouldn't want to tackle it without a splitter.

Reactions: saewoody
Looks like elm to me as well . . . I actually like burning elm . . . I have done well by elm . . . but wouldn't want to tackle it without a splitter.

Elm is the reason I am considering buying a splitter. I split a cord a year of the stuff by hand. Got way more important things to spend my time on than splitting elm by hand.

It's funny you say that because I had a short piece (about a foot long) and about only 8-10" in diameter that the splitter almost didn't pop open. I think the piece was just almost too short for the force it takes to open up the elm. It was just sort of absorbing the wedge; kind of like what sycamore will do as you start to split it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, new here myself. Since I'm a wood scrounger I burn some Elm. It's not anywhere near my top few choices, but one takes what's available. Depending on how 'live' it is I may split it a bit small then get it dried well.

There are those days & nights when it's 40 or better and one doesn't need full heat. I often mix it with the better wood too. When it's 10 below & windy I rotate some Hickory to the wood box.