Ember Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sheilark

Jan 29, 2022
We moved into a home a year ago. We have an Ember Hearth Wood Stove in the basement. We did not use it until we had a chimney inspection. The inspector told me not to close or open the flute because it sticks. We use this to heat our home since we have a propane tank and someone caused propane to shoot up in price. We just tried to have a fire started in it and smoke filled the basement. We have had many since it was inspected but this one filled the basement. How do I know if the flute is open and how do I open or close it?

Take a flashlight and look up inside the fireplace toward the top of the chimney. You will see the damper about 12" up and will be able to see if it is open or closed.