Emergency Basement Wood Stove and EPA Emissions Code

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 25, 2012
Eastern Tennessee
I have a friend who has a home with a small coal/wood burning stove. The previous owner installed this unit for an emergency source of heat in the basement so the pipes wouldn't freeze if they lost power in the dead of winter.

Is there an exemption for emissions for such a unit as this if it is used during an emergency? I don't remember what kind it was or how old.

Thanks.

Charlene

I have a friend who has a home with a small coal/wood burning stove. The previous owner installed this unit for an emergency source of heat in the basement so the pipes wouldn't freeze if they lost power in the dead of winter.

Is there an exemption for emissions for such a unit as this if it is used during an emergency? I don't remember what kind it was or how old.

Thanks.

Charlene
There is no exemption needed other than a few states and or cities you can burn pre epa stoves. Just new ones need to meet emissions standards

Did the previous owner pull a permit for the installation? You can find out at the county or city office.

There's no Stove Police (with the exception of some urban areas with local visible plume laws).

I would still get its flue inspected.

If they decide to just light a fire in a stove with a scary old flue full of bird nests and fallen bricks, it could turn into a real bad day for indoor air quality.

The most important thing with a backup system is to make sure it is safely installed, operating properly and ready. You don't want to be discovering flaws during a time of need, like an extended power outage.

There really is no such thing as backup installation. Its just a regular installation that is not used very often. As noted, t
he chimney needs to be inspected prior to use to make sure that critters didnt move in,

FYI, there are various EPA exempt stoves that are intentionally built to skirt the regulations, they are unsafe to use in home even temporarily.

Reactions: Shrewboy