Empress Fireplace Manual

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
for some reason my post was moved to the Pellet stove section but it is not a Pellet stove.

Attachments

• 20161112_093714.jpg
    20161112_093714.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 846
Sorry you got moved by mistake ... there is a pellet stove that is popular that is also an "Empress".

My bad. I didn't know there was an Empress gas fireplace.

Company was in Burlington, ON and folded ...

Caught some info on a HVAC site that mentioned some of the former employees started up CFM Inc. known as Majestic Fireplace...
This doesn't look good though ... recall on 2 fireplaces
http://www.dunnheating.com/usercont...Insta_Flame and Northern Flame Fireplaces.pdf

Not likely you would get much info from them as they would not want the liability for another manufacturer...

Due to it's age, you might want to go to "Plan B" ... You may luck out with a local shop that has been in business for a while and may have serviced them in the past. Good luck!

Company was in Burlington, ON and folded ...

Caught some info on a HVAC site that mentioned some of the former employees started up CFM Inc. known as Majestic Fireplace...
This doesn't look good though ... recall on 2 fireplaces
http://www.dunnheating.com/usercontent/documents/TSSA Bans Series of Insta_Flame and Northern Flame Fireplaces.pdf

Not likely you would get much info from them as they would not want the liability for another manufacturer...

Due to it's age, you might want to go to "Plan B" ... You may luck out with a local shop that has been in business for a while and may have serviced them in the past. Good luck!

Thanks, but it is a wood burning fireplace, not gas. I called the local major fireplace store (Marshs) but no luck there.

Due to the lack of info on the product we have just been guessing. There is some chatter on the hvac forums on the Empress 736, but that is all I found. Can you post a clear picture of the manufacturer's label for this fireplace?

What is at issue? Why the need of a manual?

Info I saw on Empress was natural gas related ...... It is a 30+/- year old fireplace so hard to expect us to recognize it as a wood only fireplace. This is the first I've head of the company. And you might be surprised with some of the oddities that we see as moderators!!!

The reuse of the name for other fire related appliances adds another wrinkle. Would you expect the manual from a 1970s Mustang to be the same as the 2014 Mustang?

So, sorry you got shuffled around but can't suggest we aren't trying to help.... just may not be able to.

Last edited:
Thanks, but it is a wood burning fireplace, not gas. I called the local major fireplace store (Marshs) but no luck there.
My husband and I worked at the company. The place was called empress fireplaces and the manufacturing part was called Hevac. My hubby was one of the service guys as well as working on the line at the Burlington location. I worked at the Mississauga location in the office. He doesn't have any manuals but may be able to assist you online.

Nevermind, it's a wood unit. Hard to find info on a 30 yr old unit.

I did find a few threads on other forums where people were looking for parts or manuals, but none of them got anything useful back.

A chance to question one of the techs who serviced them is pretty darn good though!

Hi folks, thanks for all the info. Just to update you, this unit was installed in a townhouse condo complex. I probably should have posted pics originally to help. What happened was, since the fireplaces were installed in most units originally, I asked the owner to enquire to neighbours to find out if anyone had a manual and someone did! So that's how I ended up getting the manual, and here it is. Although since most of you are in the USA, and this unit was made in Canada a long time ago it will probably not help much.

Attachments

• 20161112_093656.jpg
    20161112_093656.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 759
  • 20161112_094015-cracking.jpg
    20161112_094015-cracking.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 598
  • 20161112_095215-Model.jpg
    20161112_095215-Model.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 648
  • Empress Fireplace Manual-736-737.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 2,681
  • 20161112_094909.jpg
    20161112_094909.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 966
Reactions: begreen
Thanks for coming back with the manual and glad you were able to find one. I know the condo my son was renting in Winnipeg decided to remove all the fireplaces from the units ... liability and age of the fireplaces being the big determinant.

My husband and I worked at the company. The place was called empress fireplaces and the manufacturing part was called Hevac. My hubby was one of the service guys as well as working on the line at the Burlington location. I worked at the Mississauga location in the office. He doesn't have any manuals but may be able to assist you online.
Hi. I have a two sided empress 747 ST and want to change the gasket (s) on the window side of the fireplace to stop the smoke from escaping. Would you happen to know the proper size of the gasket? Thank you so much for your help.

We are in a Toronto Condo with about (50) of these installed. Any information on where to get parts or service would be greatly appreciated. Installation Manual is attached

Attachments

• Empress Fireplace Manual-736-737-1.pdf
    1,017.7 KB · Views: 504
Hi. I have a two sided empress 747 ST and want to change the gasket (s) on the window side of the fireplace to stop the smoke from escaping. Would you happen to know the proper size of the gasket? Thank you so much for your help.
The Empress 747ST fireplace did not come with standard gasketing [at least when we sold them]
It is a non airtight unit