Encore 2550 needs to go?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AlanS

Hearth Supporter
Nov 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
I did a search, seems to be a fairly common question, but I'll ask again. Here in NY (Long Island) we supplement our heat with wood our Encore 2550 top loader. It has served us well, but seems that (even though I try to seal the unit), it runs hotter than intended, uses wood! I have a few choices: Another gasket replacement (doors, griddle, ash door. I can't get to the flue gasket...have no clue how to change that)....or buy another stove.
If anyone has details about how to do a full gasket makeover, I would appreciate it.
If the decision is to replace...then what with? I have no clue how to figure out what units are out there, and what to get....guidance please. Alan

I did a search, seems to be a fairly common question, but I'll ask again. Here in NY (Long Island) we supplement our heat with wood our Encore 2550 top loader. It has served us well, but seems that (even though I try to seal the unit), it runs hotter than intended, uses wood! I have a few choices: Another gasket replacement (doors, griddle, ash door. I can't get to the flue gasket...have no clue how to change that)....or buy another stove.
If anyone has details about how to do a full gasket makeover, I would appreciate it.
If the decision is to replace...then what with? I have no clue how to figure out what units are out there, and what to get....guidance please. Alan
It may need a full teardown and rebuild at this point as well. Which I honestly don't think is worth doing on that stove