Encore overfiring...a new possible twist!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanS

Nov 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
Over the past week, my VT Encore has been running 'nicely'. Not burning super hot as it usually did (I gave up on trying to find out why!). Then, I noticed that my stack was leaking (it is stainless, running 2.5 stories INSIDE the house until it exits for another 6') smoke at a few joints in the upper section (my bedroom).
I had a sweep come in today...the cap was almost completely clogged...caked on. He removed it, knocked out the crap and I am good to go tonight.
But, it seems that the stove worked better with the reduced draft (if that's the right word for it). I am wondering if, tonight, the thing runs HOT again.
Thoughts?

Stovepipe damper. Rick

Now, again, this is assuming that the stove will run hotter...
Why does this air flow cause this? Would this be 'normal'...the use of a damper? Is the 25' a long run for a chimney?

2 1/2 stories plus 6' sounds like more than 25' to me. Dunno. In any case, it's a tall run. IF overdrafting is a source of your overfiring, then a stovepipe damper installed above the stove might be a solution to it. Rick

EDIT: Your clogged chimney cap sort of gave you some empirical evidence of the effect a damper might have on your stove's performance.

I agree with the stovepipe damper. These Encores seem to be real touchy to running hot when there is a chimney setup that would produce a strong draft. I see it repeatedly on this forum over the last few months. They also seem to be affected by the smallest airleaks so I would recommend dollar bill testing the doors including the ashdoor. It also wouldn't hurt to pick up some burning incense sticks and run them around the cemented seams when the stove is fired up. Any leaks will suck the smoke in.

Rich

Did it burn hot again?

Status
Not open for further replies.