encore question???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RichL35

Feb 10, 2009
Halifax, MA
Does anyone know why the Encore 2550 has two thru holes in the Ashdrop (very bottom cover on the stove that the ashpan closes into). Mine has one on each side and I am not sure if I should seal them or if they are meant to be left open. They were open when I got the stove used. I am about to put the bottom and back heat shields on and want to seal these up first if I need to.

Thanks,
Rich

those are holes meant to leak air into the firebox. They are left open on purpose.

Wasn't quite sure about them but I see on another post that you have rebuilt about 500 VC stoves so I'm going to take your word on this one. I have asked alot of people about these holes too including my 2 local VC dealers and they both thought I was crazy. I found some plugs that sealed these holes up but I can easilly pop them out now. Why do these holes exhist? I thought that stoves like this were supposed to be airtight?

Thanks,
Rich

true air tights do not exist, in the 70's too many people damped them down and caused too many fires. The new air tights (1986 and beyond) try to help control the human factor.

I understand the human factor. Fear of asking but what do you think of the Encore? I will put aside what a pain it was to rebuild and the fact that VC wasn't very helpful or responsive to the dealer getting my parts for me.

Rich

original Encores were OK, But were quickly passed by other mfg. right after that stove was made VC began it's downward spiral. Through no fault of the dealers or most of the dedicated employees the mgt shrived harder everyday to do a worst job than the day before. None of the people that made that company what it is are there today, therefore no knowledge as you found out and quality is a thing of the past. Watching VC for the last 12 - 15 years was like watching your best friend with cancer, still smoke.

H-Iron- is that why I'm having problems with my Encore NC? What stove do you run?

Wes

If you don't mind me asking...... Were you a VC employee at one time?

Rich

No, I was one of the oldest dealers of their products in the USA. I did work with R&D;and the tech team, relaying field experience to help better the stoves. I am no longer a dealer due to quality control issues.

H-Iron- Too much secondary air(see Post 1450-no control). Pretty much run the stove with the primary closed. Have photos from last night as it went into its 'Afterburner' state. But not to bad for there was little wood added. I would say F3(F5 being the worst which I had last Thursday night requiring blocking the air intake on the bottom. I'll see if I can load these pictures in of the thermoerters, before, during and after. VC Rep thinks there is an air leak. Performed smoke test. Found no leaks? He'll have to make a trip out to the house to see this first hand.

Wes

Humpin Iron,

Since you have rebuilt so many stoves, what procedure would you recommend for the first fire. I want to confirm my stove is tight and it will be the first of the break in fires. I am a novice and don't want to get in over my head with an out of control burn.

Rich

Wes, I don't have a lot of experience with the NC, came after we parted ways. But I would check the gasket where the bolt on ash pan housing meets the bottom of the stove. That was a common leak I found with cat stoves. One hint is if you get a real bright glow spot in the coal bed. Temps taken on the griddle top.

Rich, Just nice low fire, bout 300 degrees, let it run for 2-4 hours, stop adding wood and just let it die out. Do 3 or 4 of those, one in early morning-go out at lunch another after dinner, etc etc. Only in up draft, do not engage the by-pass damper. Being that you just rebuilt the stove you may hear some sizzling, thats the cement drying. If the stove is a very fresh rebuild, you may want to put some card board under it for the first fire, in case any of the glue drips. And before everyone yells and screams-use your head-cardboard burns-low fire only- remove it after the first fire-etc etc

Thanks H-Iron.

Rich

H-I - just got back in the van. I'll drop the shield and check this out tonight. I've already replaced the ash pan door with new hinges 4 days after installing it the fire place opening. There was no damage to the pallet/crate it sat on and box damage? It just won't close correctly. The dealer had an out-of-box enamel with a scratched top, so I removed it and remounted to my stove. That fixed the that leak. But, with the shield out of the way, I'll do another smoke test and keep you posted. Do you live in the New England area? Do you sell used stoves?

Thanks - Wes

Status
Not open for further replies.