End of Season Insert Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Hearth Supporter
Dec 31, 2007
colorado
Burning season is coming to an end here. My old insert had a fire box completely covered with fire bricks that didn't need to be cleaned at the end of a burning season.

This year I have an insert that has a firebox that is 3/4ths covered with fire bricks. The rest is steel and is covered with black sooty like 'dust'. Don't know if I can just leave it as it isn't a danger to anything or if it should be brushed out. Seems like brushing it out would get rid of it but it would be back as soon as I build another fire....

Hmm. I think I would leave the soot on. If you brush it off then you expose the metal to moisture. I'm considering taking all my brick out and giving it a real good cleaning and then painting it.

Just a thought.

I thought I had read that some people put a little baking soda down the liner and in the insert to deoderize AND nuetralize the ash? I do not know myself. Hopefully someone will enlighten both of us.

I've read about baking soda and I don't have any idea why that would be a good thing to do. Ash is a base--you add water and get lye. Baking soda is also a base, it increases pH. Adding baking soda will neutralize an acid, it won't neutralize a base like ash.

Makes sense, kinda what I thought but not sure. Maybe it was strickly a deoderizer?

I guess we are all in the same boat. I really can't see that it is hurting anything - just my sense of cleanliness and my desire to put things in order at the end of the season. For now I will just leave it and see what happens over time.

Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.