End of season question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

QuadUser

Nov 5, 2023
Way Up North Michigan
I'm shutting down and cleaning for the end of season for my Quad Trekker. Question, if I'm using Damp Rid inside of the stove is it also necessary to use pam oil spray too? I have the OAK and the exhaust pipe sealed off on the outside so the more humid, damp summer air doesn't get in. I would think that as long as I'm switching out that damp rid every two months I should be fine without the spray but would like some opinions on this. I live in an area where we don't get a lot of high dew point weather. Maybe just a couple weeks a year up here, ty.

I live in a very summer humid area and only use the damp rid
I get some signs of surface rust which burns off the first fall fire.
Just a suggestion do a full cleaning at final shut down ash absorbers
moisture and can get as hard as rock

Reactions: QuadUser
I live in a very summer humid area and only use the damp rid
I get some signs of surface rust which burns off the first fall fire.
Just a suggestion do a full cleaning at final shut down ash absorbers
moisture and can get as hard as rock
I did a full cleaning. Took my 3 " brush out to my pipes out side and run it back and fourth and then did my leave blower thing. So now there is hard no ash in the system. I agree that ash will turn hard from that kind of moisture. I'm leaning towards just damp rid and skip the oil. I'm also going to get inside my stove and try to clean out around the exhaust fan etc... Ty for your response. I won't be turning on my stove again till Nov. Since I put foam in my outside walls and have done a lot of insulation work I only used 2 tons between Dec-April 1st in Northern Michigan which is way cool.

covering the exhaust is really going to do absolutely nothing to stop moisture in the air from getting in the stove. I have never put any type of moisture absorbent in my stove, get a little bit of surface rust but nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Washed-Up
I'm shutting down and cleaning for the end of season for my Quad Trekker. Question, if I'm using Damp Rid inside of the stove is it also necessary to use pam oil spray too? I have the OAK and the exhaust pipe sealed off on the outside so the more humid, damp summer air doesn't get in. I would think that as long as I'm switching out that damp rid every two months I should be fine without the spray but would like some opinions on this. I live in an area where we don't get a lot of high dew point weather. Maybe just a couple weeks a year up here, ty.
sounds like u have things covered... as far as spraying, I spray the burnpot and inner walls as more habit than anything. But,
the damp rid will capture lot of moisture either way... have a Big freestanding harman so I put 2 in.. 1 in the firebox and 1 down below in the ashpan.
even though I cover the outside exhaust and the OAK, still average around inch or 2 of moisture in each container captured by fall. where it comes from? still dont know. thinking that on days when we dont need the AC on we open windows and possibly moisture in the air makes it's way in somehow. anyways, 9 yrs and No rust anywhere,,,

Reactions: QuadUser
sounds like u have things covered... as far as spraying, I spray the burnpot and inner walls as more habit than anything. But,
the damp rid will capture lot of moisture either way... have a Big freestanding harman so I put 2 in.. 1 in the firebox and 1 down below in the ashpan.
even though I cover the outside exhaust and the OAK, still average around inch or 2 of moisture in each container captured by fall. where it comes from? still dont know. thinking that on days when we dont need the AC on we open windows and possibly moisture in the air makes it's way in somehow. anyways, 9 yrs and No rust anywhere,,,
Ty, I kinda figured that spraying and damp rid was redundant.