End of year shutdown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stickyfrog41

Jan 15, 2019
syracuse ny
First year shutting down my Harman P43. Should I run it until the hopper is empty on pellets and it will go out? Does it make for easier cleaning?

Thanks!

I think you live in a fairly high humidity area. Empty the hopper.You can always vacuum out the pellets. Clean stove.Well. Scrape the auger tube,probably be a bit crusty up to 1 inch back.Spray inside of firebox,burn pot,etc with dry graphite or dry moly. Disconnect the flue/exhaust, and the OAK,and plug them. Only do this if you want your stove to last 20 years or more. In high humidity areas, the heating/cooling of the house, (sun load or A/C) creates airflow that will create moisture inside the stove.That is my thoughts,others might disagree.

First year shutting down my Harman P43. Should I run it until the hopper is empty on pellets and it will go out? Does it make for easier cleaning?

Thanks!
I run mine out of pellets, write the check for an annual cleaning, and place a container of damp rid inside the stove to suck up any moisture. I let my local dealer do the annual cleaning and basically give the stove a complete “check up” while here. I prefer him to remove everything and clean, I want to support him as he is always there to support me and answer all of my questions. It’s worth the couple of hundred dollars!

Reactions: Jack Morrissey
I just do a thorough cleaning just like the dealer does but I like to save the money. I leave the pellets in the hopper. In fact I'm burning pellets that are 4 years old from the hopper in the stove I had downstairs that I haven't needed to use no problems stove did not rust or have. I'm putting the 70,000 BTU pellet stove in the basement in my garage this summer so I can heat the garage and wax my cars in the winter

Any of the above will work.
I dont dissconnect anything. Vaccum it good, spray the burnpot with pam cooking spray and put a box of damrid inside.i do empty the hopper out or burn them if not much in there. You will see if rust streaks are visable next season in the burn chamber or not.

I only unplug my stove. And to be honest I haven’t notice a difference at all. Do a full cleaning in October.

Unless u live in a swamp I can’t see it rusting out.

Reactions: vinny11950
I leave mine nice and dirty at the end of the year. Ash pan and hopper full. I haven't done an end of year cleaning for the last 3 years and I get no rust. My theory is the ash covering the inside of the box keep the moisture away or it acts as some kind of anti-oxidant inhibiting rust. And the big pile of ash in the ash pan probably absorbs a good deal of dampness in the stove. But these are just guesses as to why it doesn't rust.

I do unplug it though.

Reactions: johneh
I leave mine nice and dirty at the end of the year. Ash pan and hopper full. I haven't done an end of year cleaning for the last 3 years and I get no rust. My theory is the ash covering the inside of the box keep the moisture away or it acts as some kind of anti-oxidant inhibiting rust. And the big pile of ash in the ash pan probably absorbs a good deal of dampness in the stove. But these are just guesses as to why it doesn't rust.

I do unplug it though.

Me Too

I clean everything including emptying and vacuuming the hopper.
I pull the stove out a bit and detach it from the vent and OAK.
Baggies and rubber bands over the vent and OAK inlets (and same over the pipes).
1 large desiccant box and wadded newspaper in the hopper and the same in the ash pan.
The first year I had the stove I let it set over the humid summer without cleaning it and got quite a bit of rust.
No rust since.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190510-112951_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20190510-112951_Google.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 183
Reactions: Washed-Up
I clean everything including emptying and vacuuming the hopper.
I pull the stove out a bit and detach it from the vent and OAK.
Baggies and rubber bands over the vent and OAK inlets (and same over the pipes).
1 large desiccant box and wadded newspaper in the hopper and the same in the ash pan.
The first year I had the stove I let it set over the humid summer without cleaning it and got quite a bit of rust.
No rust since.
good.. guess it all depends where u live..
we are semi humid in summer here which is maybe a few days a month now and then.

I agree. It depends on the climate and I live in San Jose CA which is very hot. But I clean it whenever I wish to. Lol.
I used to live in Calif[San Diego/LA and humidity is almost non-existant. maybe 7%... at least in southern Cal.

I leave mine connected with a full hopper of pellets, just do a thorough cleaning ans spray the firebox with cooking oil. Sometimes even in summer if it is a cool morning I like to turn it on for an hour to take out the damp. After it shut down and cool I respray cooking oil.

Just did my end-of-season service clean. Took me an hour and a half on my ravelli RV100c. I'll be 71 in a few days so I move a little slow. Not hard to do process and I'm ready for next season now.