Energy Harvesters Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Air_N_Water2000

Aug 22, 2008
Tualatin, Or
I have just purchased a log cabin in western Montana that I am going to use as a recreational property (won't be living in it full-time). The only heat in the cabin is a wood stove by Energy Harvesters. The stove appears to be in really good shape, but I do have a few questions about it after reading a few articles here. From one of the posts, it sounds like this wood stove should have a top baffle in it. Currently, there is no baffle in the top of the stove. The flames from the fire would directly heat the top surface. When I look inside, it appears that there are some slots where a baffle might fit. Also, what are the recommended clearances around the stove? It sits in a corner of the cabin, at a 45 Deg angle in the room. My concern is the logs around the wood stove are scorched. I don't know if this is from this wood stove, or some other wood stove. I am planning on installing a hardibacker/cultured stone protector behind and under the stove. Any suggestions on how big this should be? It appears there is also a catalytic converter that can be mounted in the chimney outlet that I could purchase (there currently isn't any in the stove). Any comments/suggestions about using the catalytic converter?

Thanks for any feedback and keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.