Energy King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We had one. The only reason I ended up on the "boiler road" is because our house chimney was shot and I decided I'd go outdoors before spending money on a new chimney.

They work quite well, though you wan't to be sure it's sized appropriately for your house. For example, you cant run a wood furnace full-bore and store the heat for later with a wood furnace like you can a wood boiler. So the spring/fall seasons will probably find you burning propane/oil........

But, they are significantly cheaper. And, because they are not water jacketed, they tend not to get quite as much creosote buildup on the walls as a standard wood boiler, as the walls can get quite hot during the burn...... But then the damper closes and it goes back into smolder once the house is heated up.

Status
Not open for further replies.