Enerzone question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KPI

Dec 21, 2021
Northern Ohio
So I have a enerzone 2.3 destination insert, but we are having a problem heating the house sometimes past 65 degrees,when the temps dip outside.It is a vaulted ceiling with a ceiling fan rotating the correct way knotty pine walls. We live on Lake Erie and when the wind is blowing outside it seems like the wood burner does not work well the wood is seasoned and checked with a moisture meter and it is in specs under 20 percent it is oak and ash I burn chimney is cleaned before season and only burn on weekends as it is our second home could it be the components like air tubes or baffle need replaced I just remember the unit working much better years ago

Performance will vary with the outdoor temp. As they get lower, the draft strength increases. At some point for some installations, it can get too strong without a damper in the flue. The other variable can be the wood. If it is too dry it can burn up too quickly. If this is the case, mixing in less dry wood can help. And wood can vary depending on what part of the tree it came from.

If the insert is trying to raise the house temps more than 10-15º, it's going to struggle. It take a lot of extra BTU to heat up the interior mass of a cold home. If the fireplace is on an exterior wall, one thing that can improve the insert's performance is adding an insulated block-off plate to seal off the damper area around the flue liner. If there is room, adding some insulation behind the insert can also help.

How are you taking the moisture reading?
When its cleaned is the baffle removed?

How are you taking the moisture reading?
When it’s cleaned is the baffle removed?
I take the readings by bringing in wood to room temp and then splitting and putting the prongs parallel it the grain not sure what you mean by is baffle removed I have the chimney swept professionally I have not removed the baffle personally it sits on top of the air tubes on this unit

Good. A lot of people don’t know the proper way to use a moisture meter.
After the chimney is swept, the baffle has to be lowered to access the debris. Many sweeps don’t know or bother to complete the job.

This is the unit I have not cleaned air tubes at top ever should this be done it is 10 degrees outside today with a wind of 25-35 off the lake

IMG_1786.jpeg

To remove your tubes you simply twist the 2 front tubes, remove them and slide the baffle out toward the door. It should be done every time the chimney is cleaned.

Will the baffle restrict the heat distribution on the stove
If the sweep didn't remove the baffle when cleaning, there can be debris piled up at the flue outlet that may restrict draft.

Reactions: webby3650
Ok so I got the air tubes removed found out the unit is a Enerzone solution 1.8 insert,removed air tubes and removed baffle and the baffle was cracked so I went to order new but when I look at the diagram to order ,it seems like someone removed the baffle insulation and the baffle insulation weight could this be causing the unit to not be as effective I just was wondering it looks like that insulation would burn up but maybe it is fire retardant material

image.jpg

The blanket is made from ceramic wool. The weight is probably just steel. With the blanket in place the firebox can run a bit hotter, cleaner, and warm up a little faster.

Ok so I got the air tubes removed found out the unit is a Enerzone solution 1.8 insert,removed air tubes and removed baffle and the baffle was cracked so I went to order new but when I look at the diagram to order ,it seems like someone removed the baffle insulation and the baffle insulation weight could this be causing the unit to not be as effective I just was wondering it looks like that insulation would burn up but maybe it is fire retardant material

View attachment 323889
That type of problems is exactly why I love Pacific Energy products with their stainless steel baffle, no tubes, no brick, no C-cast or vermiculite baffles to break or crack on you.
If your Enerzone burner is 1.8 cu. ft instead of 2.3 cu. ft you perceived perhaps it is too small to supply the heat you want in colder or windier conditions.