Engine won't start if cold.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I have John Deer Z 425 Zero turn with 22 HP V twin engine. Works fine, starts fine if engine is warm and been running for some time. But when cold, its pain in a neck to get it going. Each time i have to jump start it with my car. But even with car it takes several attempts to get it going. Get worse in a winter, which is approaching. I changed spark plugs, nothing changed. What is the next thing i should check on it? I'm using it for hauling my wood and not looking forward to jump start it every time in a winter.

Check the battery connection and ensure they are clean and tight, same with connections to the starter, you may need to have the battery tested as it also sounds weak and it may need replacement.

Otherwise move onto the fuel system, the fuel filter could be getting plugged and might need to be replaced, if it has the crankcase pulse style fuel pump it might be getting weak as well.

My parents had a tractor mower with the same engine and it was always cold blooded, but ensuring it was running winter gas in the cold weather did help cold starts, otherwise storing it in the heated garage helped too.

Check the battery connection and ensure they are clean and tight, same with connections to the starter, you may need to have the battery tested as it also sounds weak and it may need replacement.

Otherwise move onto the fuel system, the fuel filter could be getting plugged and might need to be replaced, if it has the crankcase pulse style fuel pump it might be getting weak as well.

My parents had a tractor mower with the same engine and it was always cold blooded, but ensuring it was running winter gas in the cold weather did help cold starts, otherwise storing it in the heated garage helped too.
Thank you, the battery was the first thing i changed, didn't help much, just gave me more attempts before dying on me. Still had to jump start with car.

Thank you, the battery was the first thing i changed, didn't help much, just gave me more attempts before dying on me. Still had to jump start with car.

Could be a bad charging system, IIRC there is something like a 20 amp fuse on the charging system, if its blown it could be causing your issue as well if the battery doesn't stay charged.

I have John Deer Z 425 Zero turn with 22 HP V twin engine. Works fine, starts fine if engine is warm and been running for some time. But when cold, its pain in a neck to get it going. Each time i have to jump start it with my car. But even with car it takes several attempts to get it going. Get worse in a winter, which is approaching. I changed spark plugs, nothing changed. What is the next thing i should check on it? I'm using it for hauling my wood and not looking forward to jump start it every time in a winter.
Is this a Kawasaki? I've got one on my Husqvarna z-turn that is also hard starting when cold. Ive thought about adjusting the valves? What currently works best is giving it full choke, wide open throttle and crank it for about 5 seconds. It takes a LOT more cranking at half throttle.
Have you done a visual check to confirm that the choke is being fully engaged? Sometimes the linkage gets bent or out of adjustment. That can make a big difference on a hard starting engine.

Reactions: Dmitry
What does "starts hard" mean? Like you have to crank and crank to get it to fire (and in the meantime the battery goes dead) or it barely turns over unless you jump it?

Reactions: Jags
What does "starts hard" mean? Like you have to crank and crank to get it to fire (and in the meantime the battery goes dead) or it barely turns over unless you jump it?
I have to crank it and crank it and crank it. Once engine is warm after couple minutes, it starts up from half turn.

I have to crank it and crank it and crank it. Once engine is warm after couple minutes, it starts up from half turn.
As was mentioned above, make sure the choke is fully closing...could just be a simple adjustment, or some linkage needs lubed, etc.

As a test...hit it with a quick shot of starting fluid when cold. If it briefly fires withing a couple of seconds of turning over it tells you that you have a fuel/choke issue. If it doesnt... we can go down that rabbit hole after your test.

sounds choke related

If that's a Briggs V twin I'd almost guarantee the valves need adjusted. First sign they're out of whack is hard starting when cold.
I think those did have JD labeled B/S on them...

B/S ? Interesting. My Z445 is a Kawi. Seems to be a easy starter as well. Post some pics of hauling wood with your ZTR mower. I did not think the hydro's were really tough enough for heavy loads?

OMG. No f..ng way. I feel so happy and dumb at the same time.
The Zero turn was sitting for three days in the woods with a drained battery and me thinking about how to get a car next to it to get started. I read about choke advice and looked at the choke functioning. Seemed fine to me. But I put it in a fully choked position and pushed the plate near the carb with a finger. It moved further maybe 1/8th or so. It started with a drained battery from half crank.
I feel so happy and dumb at the same time.
For two years I was struggling to start it from cold if not in the summertime. And I used it a lot hauling firewood to a garage with hitch attachment and other things. Someone told me about choke back then but I dismissed it thinking it's complicated and I need to get to the carb. Appears it was a simple mechanical linkage issue.
Thank you, fellow HEARTH members, it's not the first time I got perfect advice here.
I can't believe I won't need to crank my engine for 5 min to start in the winter. Already bought a jump starter for this purpose and was charging it. I guess I'll keep it anyway.

B/S ? Interesting. My Z445 is a Kawi. Seems to be a easy starter as well. Post some pics of hauling wood with your ZTR mower. I did not think the hydro's were really tough enough for heavy loads?
That's what I use. Don'have actual pictures on me. Might do it later if you are still interested.

Reactions: moresnow
That's what I use. Don'have actual pictures on me. Might do it later if you are still interested.
Gotta be handy. My mower actually has the hitch on it. I figured maybe it would haul some lightweight brush trimming's but never considered firewood. They sure don't give away that trailer your using. Looks like it would work nice.

Gotta be handy. My mower actually has the hitch on it. I figured maybe it would haul some lightweight brush trimming's but never considered firewood. They sure don't give away that trailer your using. Looks like it would work nice.
You can find a cheaper trailer or got one used. The maneuverability is just amazing as you can imagine with zero turns. So far it was no load my Z 425 wouldn't handle. Of course, it's not a professional setup, just using my judgment.

Reactions: moresnow