England 24-jc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Forbidden1

Feb 16, 2019
Howell, Mi
Hi, new member here, referred by a friend. OK, so here is the problem, I have an older England 24-jc wood fireplace insert, bought new in 1992 and installed into my fireplace per the instructions, no flue pipe connection, i only burn 2 cords of wood in January and February, stove always worked well with no problems then i started hearing that set up (stuffer) wasn't code any more, so i pulled it out, cleaned every thing, replaced the cat and was going to install a chimney liner, now the connection on top of the stove is 8'' and i'm being told that i cant reduce to 6'' even though the cat is 6'' and all of the newer same size stoves are 6'', am i going to have to use an 8'' liner. Thank you for any help you can give.

The manual says a 6" full liner is acceptable

What publication number is that manual?
I don't know it is just the first manual I found for that stove. You could also just call englander

I don't see a publication number but the revision date on the manual is Rev. 1/06

Here is the text:

Flue Size Needed:

The proper flue size is normally determined by the inside diameter of the opening on the unit, which in this case is eight inches (8”). Therefore, the connector pipe should be the same size or larger and never less in diameter than the opening on the stove. The area of the chimney liner in square inches must also be equal to or larger than the area of the opening on the stove. If the area of the flue is larger than the area of the opening on the stove, it should never be more than three (3) times larger.

Exception: If you reline the flue and direct connect this unit, a six inch (6”) flue liner is acceptable.

I don't see a publication number but the revision date on the manual is Rev. 1/06

Here is the text:

Flue Size Needed:

The proper flue size is normally determined by the inside diameter of the opening on the unit, which in this case is eight inches (8”). Therefore, the connector pipe should be the same size or larger and never less in diameter than the opening on the stove. The area of the chimney liner in square inches must also be equal to or larger than the area of the opening on the stove. If the area of the flue is larger than the area of the opening on the stove, it should never be more than three (3) times larger.

Exception: If you reline the flue and direct connect this unit, a six inch (6”) flue liner is acceptable.

Thank you very much!