England 30NC question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blaine Coon

Oct 21, 2019
Virginia
We installed a brand new 30NC wood stove. Wondering why the stove isn’t heating the home. The stove is installed in the basement with a flex liner up the chimney. The chimney length is 20ft with a 3 ft horizontal run. I have a good draft , wood burns clean. I can only get the stove to 500 degrees, when I turn on the fan on the stove the temperature drops on the stove to 400 degrees. I am burning seasoned oak. Any advice .

Mine likes to cruise around 750. Feed it lots of dry wood and this thing can make lots of heat.

My shop Nc30 was cruising at about 700-750 tonight. Had to run that noisy fan to keep it from going higher. Dry wood and a good draft. Oak is like a fine wine ,takes awhile to age and perfect.

Reactions: Highbeam
I'm also a 3 year minimum on split oak, my split size averages between 5&6" per split, I can def burn it at 2 yrs, but there is a night and day difference between 2 & 3 years on red and white oak.

Make sure the baffles are aligned properly and also, check if they are even there. Recently had a thread where person was missing them.

Your wood is not dry enough.

Reactions: Highbeam
Burn some scrap lumber (or those horrible expensive bundles at the grocery store) to compare.

Oak takes 3 years to dry when split, stacked, and topcovered around here. You have classic wet wood symptoms.

If it was me, I'd hit the woods and look for some dead standing/leaning pine. You can also find dead oak that burns ok, but it seems like a waste because if you split it and let it dry for another year, it'd burn great.

That said, my first year in this house, I burned whatever dead leaning stuff the woods gave me!

Bought a moisture tester today. All the seasoned wood is at a moisture level of on average 6.2%. Trying another fire tonight. Will see what happens.

Bought a moisture tester today. All the seasoned wood is at a moisture level of on average 6.2%. Trying another fire tonight. Will see what happens.

You would need to live in a desert to have 6% wood.

Warm the wood up to 70° (just leave it inside overnight), split it, and test on the fresh split.

Honestly, I have a meter but I don't use it anymore. You can tell dry oak by weight, appearance when you split it (when dry, the grain on a fresh split is the same light color as the dry grain outside), and how it burns (dry oak catches right away on hot coals, and it doesn't hiss or sizzle).

Last edited:
Reactions: Seasoned Oak
You need to split a piece and check the middle. 100% guaranteed your wood is not 6%.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
620 feels good but this stove is happy to run hotter and output is significantly more at higher temperature though probably less efficient.

6.2% is not right, anything under 20% is great for a noncat like this. Split a bit smaller for high burnnrate. Say 3-5 inches across.

I'd hit the woods and look for some dead standing/leaning pine. You can also find dead oak that burns ok
Yep, look for little dead-standing trees <8" with the bark fallen off. It will be burnable, even Oak.

I will do what y’all suggest. I am burning 4 year old walnut and oak tonight and have the stove up to 620 and holding. Thanks for all the suggestions. Hoping for a 700-750 burn.
Check the manual for the high temp recomendation is for this stove. Could be less than 700-750. Whenever my 30 reaches those temps i start that noisy fan to bleed off some heat.