England Out-> Fisher In

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LampLighter

Jan 15, 2008
Yeow...I can hear the cringing. Yes, dear (new) friends, we did sell a perfectly good (pristine, actually)
circa 1979 early model England wood stove as it was WAY too much iron dragon for this over-insulated
2200 square foot abode. You know the drill...22 degrees outside...all doors and windows open....
This was a just-bought (in 2006) home, and we had no idea...

1979 was an interesting year for (over) building, it would seem, on both counts.

Sold that beauty on Craigslist last week (in one day) for $700, but it was virtually never used,
and the blower-fired steel tubes through the firebox were certainly overkill.

The new owner in Michigan will fire it well (and properly), I am satisfied.
Good on him, when the winds howl across that big (frozen) lake.

I am in severe NWGA, and I understand we are recently in a new (warmer) planting zone.
Go figure...no matter which political, religious or media poobas you listen to.
(Beware the one that are all of the above, BTW!)

What we are left with is a mysterious (for me, anyway) 20" wide Fisher, twin door w. glass inserts
and a funky double air inlet system under and over the door flange consisting of narrow sliding plates
covering three ports. Inherited this one, and can find no reference for the model on the net.
Do know that it is circa 1985, and definitely a Fisher. Am embarked on replacing the firebrick,
as most (around the sides) are busted, and reworking the doors, which appear to actually have
accepted rope-type seals originally, but I may stand corrected.

Not new to this, as I bought two Vermont Castings Vigilants in 1979, and still have one in service,
having sold the other to a friend who considers it one of his most cherished future heirlooms.

This was after attempting to heat my 1936 fishing cabin early on with a Franklin Fireplace.
That third winter, a glass of water froze by my bedside after that useless piece of...
...iron smoldered out about 2AM.
My cats left as well <g>.

Anyhow, I would greatly appreciate any imparted knowledge, wisdom or general loquation concerning
this Fisher mongrel, as it seems an acceptable candidate for displacing fossil foolery, even though
it may not pass the sniff test of the more, shall we say ardent denizens of (modern) Vulcan's craft.

Would be particularly interested in the air intake, as it might apply to starting and running this
little iron box. Over and under air intakes must surely have different practical incendary applications.

Never had the glass inserts. Clean (cool) with ammonia? Any help most appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.