England stove works - Summers Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm sorry that you are running into these difficulties... Here's my story about trying to buy an Englander 17 vl from Home Depot 3yrs ago: #1 stove I brought home and noticed some gaps in the steel at the bottom of stove, and on the back of convection chamber, exchanged for #2, which was a little better, but bricks had scratched up glass, exchanged for #3, which had cracked glass, exchanged for #4, which the HD employee wouldn't bring out to me, b/c she said it looked like the glass had been completely smashed, so she ordered #5, which still had imperfections like #1, but I went with it anyway, only to burn it for a while and noticed the hinge side of the door wasn't sealing well. ESW sent me a new gasket, no change in results. Returned within 90 days, went with a higher quality brand. Each time, I had to reload the stove into my van, strap it down, and haul it into the store. HD discounted the price with each return, but I also had to wait 2 weeks to get the next one. I feel your pain

Yes, they had plenty of the 50‐SHSSW01 in every store I went to. Those stoves have adjustable hinges and NO issues I could find anywhere on them. My guess is those are here to stay.

Reactions: HDRock
Last edited:
Can’t the stove be returned to Lowe’s for a refund or exchange? Let them deal with manufacturer. I know it would be pain in the arse to pull it out and lug it back to town, but at least it would be dealt with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a call from England Stove, they want me to pay for the new stove. Then they will send it to a freight terminal 125 miles away from me. Then they want me to deal with the freight company to send the old one back. I explained that this was a huge hassle for me and I was told this is the way we do it.

I purchased a Summers Heat stove on 9/28/17 from Lowes, model #50-SHSSW02. This stove is for my remote cabin in the north Maine woods, so access is a bit of an issue.

I brought the stove up and managed to find two locals to help me get it out of the back of the truck and into the camp. It's a heavy stove, over 400 lbs. When I installed the firebricks I figured out that I was missing 4-5 and one was broken. I contacted England Stove Works and sent them a photo of the stove bricks installed, they told me it was no problem to run the stove this way and that they would send me more bricks if I wanted.

Next I followed the break in procedure outlined in the manual. After the break-in fires were completed and stove fully cooled, I operated it in a normal fashion and let it burn overnight. In the morning the glass had a crack from the mounting points- it appeared that these mounting tabs were installed too tightly and when the stove got to full temp and cooled it broke.

I contacted England and they sent me a new glass, and 1 fire brick.

I installed the new glass and made sure to not torque the fasteners too tightly. No issues with the glass now. This is when I noticed a new problem. There is a massive gap between the door and the stove (photo attached)- no wonder it was hard to regulate.

So I called England stove works on Monday and explained the situation. They asked for a photo which I provided immediately while on the phone. I was told that I would receive a call on Tuesday to discuss.

At 4:30 on Tuesday I had not received a call so I phoned them again. I was told that the stove needed to be replaced and that they would call me on Wednesday with shipping details.

At 4:30 on Wednesday I has not received a call so I phoned them again. I was told that the person handling the issue was on another call but would definitely call me back by close of business to let me know what was going to happen. I never received a call.

At 9:00 AM on Thursday I called them back as I had not heard anything. I was told that they were still deciding what to do about my stove and that they would call me when they knew more. I asked to speak to a supervisor, who was not available. I left her a voicemail and am awaiting a call back.

This has been my experience with England Stove Works.
I have the same stove and had an issue with the front of the stove being bent, the door would seal on the top or bottom. Here is a link to my thread. They made good on the deal but I would think with this happening so much they would take a minute to adjust some jigs or have a little better way of doing QC. It can't be cheap returning these stoves back and shipping new ones. Looks like the hinges are too long in your case. Englander made it right and have faith they will do the same for you. I wouldn't be burning anymore until you get the issue fixed. It is a great stove and puts out some serious heat with long burn times. I was suprised last night even for the break in fire it held coals for close to 10 hours. Really impressive stove.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/picked-up-my-englander-ssw02-big-madison.161408/

Got a call from England Stove, they want me to pay for the new stove. Then they will send it to a freight terminal 125 miles away from me. Then they want me to deal with the freight company to send the old one back. I explained that this was a huge hassle for me and I was told this is the way we do it.
I think you misunderstood them. I had to give them my credit card number to ensure I returned the old stove. I wouldn't be charged unless the stove wasn't returned. I did have to pick up at a freight company but wasn't a big deal they loaded it into the bed of my truck no problem. Now getting it into the house was fun being I had about 6 steps to get it onto the main floor where it was being installed. I took out all the firebricks and the stove was considerably lighter around 180lbs. if I had to guess. The bricks weighed around 100lbs. the door another probably 8 lbs. Anyway my first stove was also manufactured in 2015 not sure of the month. My current stove was made June 2016 no issues. They are still manufacturing the stove from what I can tell, the employee was blowing smoke.

Typically there is a freight terminal within 10-25 miles of one's house. Often less if one is in a suburban or urban area. That is all that's needed and what I suspect England would offer.

Nothing about this is going to be easy. I need to head into the mountains to get the old stove, somehow get it out of the camp and into the truck, then drive 125 miles to the freight terminal where I can inspect the new stove to make sure it doesn't have issues the original did. Then if all goes well, drive another 125 miles and see if anyone local would be willing to help me get this back into the cabin.

Or, head north, get the thing out somehow, and then drop it at Lowes for a refund or exchange. Seems a lot easier.

Was the zipcode for the cabin provided so that they could check for the nearest freight terminal to the cabin?

If the stove is in a remote area, there may not be much England can do with that situation except to try and get the stove to the freight terminal closest to your house. How close is the nearest Lowes to the cabin? Returning it there may be the best option.

Last edited:
No, I don't even know the zip code for the cabin! Ended up driving nearly 200 miles again tonight and went back to the lowes with the best example of this stove and bought it. Burning it now at home to break it in and will bring it north tomorrow.

It's hunting season here and I've got 2 people hunting about 10 miles west of my cabin. Going to cross my fingers they will stop by on their way back to town so I can do the swap. These were the guys who helped me originally.

This stove is a whole different animal. I can control the draft and the secondaries actually work.

No, I don't even know the zip code for the cabin! Ended up driving nearly 200 miles again tonight and went back to the lowes with the best example of this stove and bought it. Burning it now at home to break it in and will bring it north tomorrow.

It's hunting season here and I've got 2 people hunting about 10 miles west of my cabin. Going to cross my fingers they will stop by on their way back to town so I can do the swap. These were the guys who helped me originally.

This stove is a whole different animal. I can control the draft and the secondaries actually work.
I love mine, been running it for almost a week non stop. It's really pretty easy to operate once you get the hang of the stove.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Lowes was great. They took the defective stove back no questions asked. I didn't realize how bad the first stove was until I ran the new one for a couple days.

Reactions: brenndatomu