Englander 10-CPM Hearth Pad Size?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdawg

Nov 3, 2011
Central, MA
For all the Englander 10-CPM owners out there, I need help figuring out what size hearth pad I need for this unit. I need dimensions for a corner pad that I'm planning to make myself. Can't justify paying $600 for a pad with slate stone. I'm planning on a basic portable one to go right on top of the carpet with tiling and a wood trim. Would a 48"x48" be too big for this stove? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Pictures would be awesome!

I suggest you download the 10-CPM installation manual from England Stove Works.

This is something you don't guess on.

This is what the manual said about heart pad for this stove. Not a lot of info. I'm looking for dimensions for corner hearth pad. The size in the manual sounds like a rectangle straight pad. Just wondering what everyone else did. Thanks.

13. This unit will require floor protection if installed on a combustible surface. The minimum
floor protector for this unit is 36†x 48†which should give you at least six inches (6â€) of
protection at the rear and at each side, and six inches (6â€) minimum in the front of the unit.

hotdawg said:
This is what the manual said about heart pad for this stove. Not a lot of info. I'm looking for dimensions for corner hearth pad. The size in the manual sounds like a rectangle straight pad. Just wondering what everyone else did. Thanks.

13. This unit will require floor protection if installed on a combustible surface. The minimum
floor protector for this unit is 36†x 48†which should give you at least six inches (6â€) of
protection at the rear and at each side, and six inches (6â€) minimum in the front of the unit.

That leaves a lot of room for embellishment but there must be a bit of additional information in the manual besides just the size, there should be something about thickness etc....

I don't have that stove but I made a corner pad to fit my stove plus some room I started with a square and cut a corner off. Then slid the thing into the corner and did messy part.

If they don't tell you in the manual what is required in the way of construction call them and ask. This is a safety critical item. Every stove model can have a different requirement.

Perhaps Mike will drop in here and provide some information.

I would agree there should be more detailed information on those requirements. I read through the manual and this is what's provided for floor/wall protection. No mention of thickness. Just needs to be "U.L. approved or equal." Not quite sure what that means. My carpet is definitely combustible so I do need a hearth pad. Half of the premade hearth pads on line doesn't mention anything about this U.L. factor or if its even made from this material.

FLOOR AND WALL PROTECTION
Floor Protection
If your floor is constructed of a non-combustible material such as brick or concrete, there is no need for
floor protection. If the floor is constructed of a combustible material such as hardwood, linoleum, or carpet, then
you will be required to use floor protection between the unit and the combustible. The protection should be U.L.
approved or equal, and should be large enough to provide a minimum of six inches (6â€) behind and on both
sides of the stove. The clearance in front of the stove should be at least six inches (6â€). This freestanding pellet
unit will need a minimum 36†x 48†floor protector.
Wall Protection
From the rear of this stove only six inches (6â€) of clearance is required to paneling, wallpaper or drywall
(we recommend more clearance for maintenance access). Six inches (6â€) would be required to a sidewall.
From the corner of the stove, 4 ½†of clearance is required. Alcoves: The alcove must be a minimum of sixtysix
inches (66â€) from floor to ceiling. Six inches (6â€) of clearance is required from the stove to an alcove
sidewall; six inches (6â€) is required to an alcove back wall.
The corn vent pipe would require the standard three inches (3â€) clearance, or as recommended by the pipe
manufacturer. Normally, additional wall protection is not required with this type unit.

hotdawg said:
I would agree there should be more detailed information on those requirements. I read through the manual and this is what's provided for floor/wall protection. No mention of thickness. Just needs to be "U.L. approved or equal." Not quite sure what that means. My carpet is definitely combustible so I do need a hearth pad. Half of the premade hearth pads on line doesn't mention anything about this U.L. factor or if its even made from this material.

FLOOR AND WALL PROTECTION
Floor Protection
If your floor is constructed of a non-combustible material such as brick or concrete, there is no need for
floor protection. If the floor is constructed of a combustible material such as hardwood, linoleum, or carpet, then
you will be required to use floor protection between the unit and the combustible. The protection should be U.L.
approved or equal, and should be large enough to provide a minimum of six inches (6â€) behind and on both
sides of the stove. The clearance in front of the stove should be at least six inches (6â€). This freestanding pellet
unit will need a minimum 36†x 48†floor protector.
Wall Protection
From the rear of this stove only six inches (6â€) of clearance is required to paneling, wallpaper or drywall
(we recommend more clearance for maintenance access). Six inches (6â€) would be required to a sidewall.
From the corner of the stove, 4 ½†of clearance is required. Alcoves: The alcove must be a minimum of sixtysix
inches (66â€) from floor to ceiling. Six inches (6â€) of clearance is required from the stove to an alcove
sidewall; six inches (6â€) is required to an alcove back wall.
The corn vent pipe would require the standard three inches (3â€) clearance, or as recommended by the pipe
manufacturer. Normally, additional wall protection is not required with this type unit.

Well that means you have to look up UL's specifications for floor protection for a pellet burning appliance.

or in the alternative

Call England Stove Works and ask. I suspect that the requirement might include some thermal protection these days.

You already know that the top layer has to be non combustible (that's ember protection) but you need to know the other part,

There are charts that provide the R factors of various materials you have to have a specific thickness of these materials under the first layer and before the final piece of plywood.

I think it has to be approved or equal to UL 1618. Someone else was looking for this same information. They also said one 1/2 Wonderboard should do the trick. I'll call my Fire Department tomorrow to make sure that's sufficient in case they have to do an inspection. Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.