Englander 13-nci secondary question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WARDNEAL

Jun 13, 2010
Central Ks
Hi all great site.

I have been working to get the insert instaled and today found a 1/2 weld burn hole in the left, rear bottom corner of the secondary air channel iron.

Is this going to be a big problem?

I emailed englander to get their responce today.

Could I just get a stainless screw and put in the hole to block it off?

Also I had to remove the fiber board to get to my flue to bend it flat as I had a hard time geting it into the top of the insert and Englander had rtv the back secondary tube to the fiber board and half of the thickness of the board broke off will it be ok that way? I did flip it over.

Looking forward to burning this winter.

Have 23 foot 6in 316ti insulated liner. Should be a good draft.

I also was looking at the primary air control their is a good sized hole that they have that can not be closed.

Could you place a magnet over that hole to get longer burns?

Thanks

Attachments

• 126_2684 - Copy.jpg
    126_2684 - Copy.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 354
  • 126_2685.jpg
    126_2685.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 2,392
My 30-NC has a flubbed weld in exactly the same place. Since it was behind the fire brick I didn't see it until a pencil flame showed up when it was burning. I filled the hole with furnace cement four seasons ago and haven't looked at it since. All of these stove companies QC on something you light fires in in your house makes me crazy.

I would get them to send you a baffle board. Those things are thin enough as it is. How they think you are going to install an insert without taking it out first is beyond me. I know why they started tacking them in for shipping but it made it a pain in the ass to do installs.

Edit: I wouldn't mess with the secondary air inlet.

Hi BrotherBart

Thanks for the input.

What do you think about having a round magnet over the uncontroled air hole in the primary to give me better air control for longer burn times when I do get to burn this new insert?

BrotherBart said:
All of these stove companies QC on something you light fires in in your house makes me crazy.

Error. Error. Sentence structure error. Must neutralize.

Ah. Yeah the weld flub in mine is at the base of the manifold in the back but it is the same type of hole. I would dip a stainless steel screw in furnace cement and put it in the hole. Don't go changing the air intake to solve a problem you don't have. All that will happen is that the stove won't burn right and you will be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.