Englander 25-PDV 5 yo Merkle Korff Ind Top Auger Motor quits after long warm up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

Ok, glad I ordered 2 new motors, because after switching the bottom and top auger motor the stove ran great only for 2 days. Today when I started the stove, it went thru the startup cycle and lit the pile of pellets in the wear grate fine after the augers feed them properly. Then after going to the heat cycle, the top auger would not turn and the fire was dying fast. I wiggled the top auger and found that the snag was gone since I fixed the knit line so the only thing that stopped it from turning was the pellets dropping into the top auger chute. So it seems that neither auger has enough torque to reliably run this stove and they BOTH do indeed need to be changed out!

New motors are due in Wednessday this week so we will see! Does this seem logical?

Hello Again

Well the top and the bottom MK motors quit at different times. Kicking them got them started again but to me they are just not reliable enough.

So the brand new Multi-Product motors came in today. The bench test showed they were set to turn CCW like I asked. They were not silent but quiter. They may be good motors for the money but may not be the best motor for this job to be honest. See pics below

Anyway, I put them in and they have been running the stove well ever since. I do have the stove on 1 - 1 and the lower buttons set to 3 - 9 - 1 for the lowest heat out put that the shed can handle. This low setting is probably a good test for the new motors. I just wished the stove had Auto On/Off, just need a way to lite the pellets even with some ash. I wonder if Mike tried having the ignitor higher up to be more aboe the ash? Oh, well.

Attachments

• IMG02304-20120404-1424.jpg
    IMG02304-20120404-1424.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG02305-20120404-1425.jpg
    IMG02305-20120404-1425.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG02306-20120404-1442.jpg
    IMG02306-20120404-1442.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 414
.....They may be good motors for the money but may not be the best motor for this job to be honest......
Just bought a Gleason-Avery off of a forum member....nice ball bearing top, huge stack. CW rotation (looking at output shaft side)......Can barely hear it run.

I think you missed the boat on these Don, just to save $. They can easily be reversed on the rotation.....all screws holding things together.

Attachments

• G-A Auger Mtr 3.jpg
    G-A Auger Mtr 3.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 385
  • G-A Auger Mtr 1.jpg
    G-A Auger Mtr 1.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 417
  • G-A Auger Mtr 2.jpg
    G-A Auger Mtr 2.jpg
    643.9 KB · Views: 428
Just bought a Gleason-Avery off of a forum member....nice ball bearing top bearing, huge stack. CW rotation (looking at output shaft side)......Can barely hear it run.

I think you missed the boat on these Don, just to save $. They can easily be reversed on the rotation.....all screws holding things together.

Hi Pete

Thanks for showing the pics, they do not look very much different. If mine last 5-10 years that is still good and they are quieter than the old ones.

If it was for my own stove, then I may have gone with the GAs but I was so turned off when the lady at GA said they had an agreement with ESW and would not guarentee they could be changed to CCWs !

Hello

New Merkle-Korff Ind newer design Auger Motor for Pellet Stove - Hear how it sounds

Merkle-Koriff Industries
B4415 /B4415UI
P/N CU-047042
115v 60HZ 0.40 A
Z P Class "B"
ES3737 M SL10411

Same as this Merkle-Korff on the England Stove Works Web Site
http://www.englanderstoves.com/store/10-CDV_Parts.html

CU-047042 2.4 RPM Motor (4 lbs. each)
$130.98
2.4 rpm auger ('feed') motor for our Multi-Fuel unit - models with 10-CPM, 49-SHCPM, 49-SHCPML or 49-TRCPM in the model number.
ALSO is the auger ('feed') motor for the pellet utility furnace (models with "PUF" in model number) AND the Pellet Auxiliary Heater (models with 25-PAH, 55-SHPAH, 55-SHPAHL or 55-TRPAH in the model number).
ALSO is the stirrer motor (turns the stirrer) for the Corn Stove - model numbers 10-CDV, 49-SHC22 or 49-TRC22.

Attachments

• MerkleKorffGBmotorSC.jpg
    MerkleKorffGBmotorSC.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 457
Status
Not open for further replies.