Englander 25-PDV Error Start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Winslow T. Schiller

Dec 27, 2021
Bootjack CA
Hi All,

This is my first post to the forum. Our new-to-us (March) Englander 25-PDV was occasionally failing to start with an E-2 code and always started up on restart. Now it's doing it with 100% repeatability.

I've read this already

I've watched mine closely: pellets fill the burn plate and the fire ignites. It burns for several minutes and then the pellets stop. The fire burns itself out, the E-2 code is displayed, and I hit "On." E-0 is briefly displayed, the unit turns on, begins to feed pellets again, they ignite, and we're soon warm. Ideas? We just got about 3 inches up here in the foothills of the Sierras. Thanks! - Winslow

Welcome to the Forum
Sounds like you have a heat sensor problem
If the fire starts and goes out about 15 min. after the start
but on restart, it works as it should then the proof of fire sensor
is not getting warm enough. check to see if the wires are tight and the sensor is clean

Thanks johneh. I haven't tried adjusting the three settings along the bottom of the control panel:

Low Fuel Feed (1)
Low Burn Air (3)
Air On Temp (1)

Would these have anything to do with my issue, or should I proceed directly to checking the wiring and sensor? - Winslow

Thanks johneh. I haven't tried adjusting the three settings along the bottom of the control panel:

Low Fuel Feed (1)
Low Burn Air (3)
Air On Temp (1)

Would these have anything to do with my issue, or should I proceed directly to checking the wiring and sensor? - Winslow

I would say the first thing to do is check the sensor. It sounds like the stove is starting correctly, but then it is not registering that it has started. So it shuts down.

I had this happen with my PP130. Different brand stove, but same principle. There was enough ash built up where the sensor was that it was insulating it. The sensor didn’t read the flue gas tempature change at a fast enough rate so the stove would shut down.

A very thorough cleaning of the exhaust where the sensor was fixed the issue.

Reactions: johneh
I'd start back at the lower buttons at 6 / 4 / 1. That said I'd check the sensor, its the white clothed cable that goes from the board to the back of the stove. I had a problem with mine once, it had become slightly corroded. I polished the sensor and reattached it. I also used some thermal paste to help with the heat transfer.

I'd also get into diagnostic mode (there's a How-To on the site, just do a search for it) and check to see if the sensor is talking.

Eric

Locate your thermal sensor/thermistor. Screwed onto the back side of the fire box. Remove it, sand it and the spot it bolts to.Put back together. See what happens. It may even already be loose, wouldn't be the first time.