Englander 25-pdv not burning pellets completely

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Arty01

Apr 1, 2024
Boston Massachusetts
hey folks,

I have an englander 25-pdv that seems to be charring the pellets instead of burning them to ash. I have read through all previous posts about the same situation with the same model pellet stove and done all troubleshooting recommended by people answering those posts. I installed a new exhaust fan last year, cleaned the pellet stove with an air compressor, removed and cleaned blower motor, reset back to factory settings, . I even replaced gaskets for (burn pot, exhaust fan, and door) the stove is probably 10 or 15 years old, not sure if this is usually the time they kick the bucket? l basically did everything short of taking apart the machine and rebuilding it. I'm hoping that someone on here can point me in the right direction on hopefully fixing this stove. Thanks in advance!
IMG_1471.jpeg

I've had mine 15+ and never had that problem. When was the last time the exhaust was cleaned, REALLY cleaned. I'm talking using a leaf blower on vacuum mode and really sucking the exhaust pipe out (do a search on here or Youtube to see in action). Do you have an OAK hooked up? Looks to me like it is starving for air. I'd start there and report back.

Eric

Looks like you have a combustion air problem!
Somewhere your stove is plugged with ash.
Intake or oak if installed on the stove itself
hidden ash traps or the chimney

I've had mine 15+ and never had that problem. When was the last time the exhaust was cleaned, REALLY cleaned. I'm talking using a leaf blower on vacuum mode and really sucking the exhaust pipe out (do a search on here or Youtube to see in action). Do you have an OAK hooked up? Looks to me like it is starving for air. I'd start there and report back.

Eric
the leaf blower worked, I hooked it up the exhaust vent outside watched as black smoke poured out! My pellet stove is working perfectly, I appreciate your help.

Reactions: ericofmaine