Englander 25 PDV Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newpelletstoveguy

Nov 23, 2018
Massachusetts
Hi guys. I had another thread about this, but now that I’ve narrowed down my issue I wanted to get a new thread going. Here’s my story...

I have an englander 25 PDV that’s having some problems. I will explain the issue, what I’ve done to troubleshoot, and what I think my best solution is, and I’d ask if you can confirm I’m on the right path. Thanks to the guys in the other thread for getting me this far.

Upon pressing the “on” button, start up would go for about 5-10 seconds then error code E2 followed by E1 and it shuts down. I took apart and emptied the ENTIRE stove piece by piece, all blower motors and tubes/exhaust are clear and moving parts are oiled up nicely. Holes aren’t blocked, cracked part of hoses were clipped and reinstalled. it’s clean clean.

When I bypass the flue vacuum switch, I no longer get error codes, and I can start the stove manually (does not light on its own, but igniter does get hot). However, top auger doesn’t feed when I have the vac switch bypassed.

When I bypass the Door Ajar vacuum switch (now with both vacuum switches bypassed), top auger now feeds again. However, it continuously overfeeds until the pellets smother the fire, it fills with smoke, then I get the woofing or bursts of smoke and embers out the intake tube when the smoke ignites. Scary, dangerous stuff yesterday.

My question: should I start by replacing the vacuum switches first, and then replace the control board if I still have issues?

Also, can I use the PU-VS for both switches, or do I need the PU-VS-A mentioned in the DVD manual for the front switch? They appear the same, and I can’t find the PU-VS-A online anywhere.

Thank you!!

Sent from Mike's iPhone X

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Did you check the hopper switch?

DUH.Read your last posts.First clue was you had to tap/bang on a motor to make it run.Should have been replaced.Your stove goes into a chimney.You have described cleaning everything but the chimney.I recommend you hire a professional to keep your house warm.

use the leaf blower trick and clean the chimney out and also clean the fans that should help also there is a little hole on the right side mid way up make sure it is free of ash

Didn't you email Englander? Any ways it sounds like your on the right tack of course my experience level is probably about 2 weeks longer than yours. According to the manual E-2 is a fail to start and E-1 is lack of vacuum.​

Last edited:
So I took the chimney pass-through 6” pipe out of the brick chimney, rusted hole right through (looks like it’s been like this for years, I’ve only lived here 2 winters). Beyond that it was clogged with what I don’t even want to describe. Big dead animal.

I re calked around between the brick and the pipe where the animal looks like it got through, god damn previous owner jerry rigged everything in this house it’s horrible. But it’s sealed up now. The chimney literally has an animal jammed in it, so it is outside I’m ordering an entirely new duravent kit and calling it a day.

Englander support never emailed me back, and I tested all my switches with a multimeter, they’re good.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk